Author Topic: Recommendations for a good reference book on setting up the carb?  (Read 2692 times)

Yellow Truck

I'll be putting the engine in the truck soon, and need to start thinking about setting up the carb. I have a 445 with a QFT SS 830, and my friend (who has some experience but is not an expert - he is a diesel mechanic by trade) warned that it will take some work to get it adjusted correctly. I may not have experience, but there is no excuse for not knowing the theory, so I'm looking for a good reference text on setting up a carb. He said there was a good book Holley performance book from the 90's that he had not seen in a while.

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good resource? I've read everything on the QFT site, but it is kind of limited.

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: Recommendations for a good reference book on setting up the carb?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:24:22 AM »
+1 on that book. Get the revised issue if you can.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
Call Quick Fuel and tell them the setup you're running and they will tell you what to change or to leave it alone.

Yellow Truck

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 06:45:51 PM »
Call Quick Fuel and tell them the setup you're running and they will tell you what to change or to leave it alone.

Really? I assumed you pretty much had to feel it out yourself. Good to know.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:48:13 PM »
I've run that carb several times.  It is generally a really good match for the 445 combination.  Bolt it down, set the floats and idle.  Run it for a while and check plugs, listen to the engine and get a feel for things.  They are usually very close and sometimes only two jets away from best numbers on the dyno at Detroit elevation.  The transitional stuff like secondary opening rate, accelerator pump, and power valves will need to be chosen for the vehicle and driving characteristics.