Author Topic: Cam plug installed backwards.  (Read 2590 times)

Yellow Truck

Cam plug installed backwards.
« on: April 11, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »
I had a machine shop build the long block for me from parts I'd ordered (a Prison Break kit from Barry), and when we put the cam in we had to drive the cam plug back a bit to get the free play we needed at the front.

At the time I didn't think about it, but yesterday I checked the books and sure enough, the plug is in backwards. I have a couple of questions:
  • If we now have the clearance for the cam, can this turn into a problem?
  • We drove it back about an 1/8th of an inch using a long tube and a rubber mallet, I'm concerned that it may cause an oil leak.
  • Is it possible to pull it now and replace it (unfortunately the intake, valve train, and timing cover are all installed now)?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Cam plug installed backwards.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 12:19:31 PM »
If you drove it out far enough to have clearance, then it's not located correctly and will cause trouble with your trans block plate......or leak.....

At this point, it wouldn't be hard at all to remove it and replace it.  If it's sticking out far enough, you can take a screwdriver and hit it on the lip to creel it up.  If it's not sticking out, drill a little hole in the center and use a slide hammer to pull it out, or twist in a screw and use something to lever it out. 

When you get it out, you will see that the block has a shoulder for the plug to be driven in against.  That little shoulder should ever slightly be seen past rear cam bearing.  Knock the new plug in facing the correct way until it bottoms out against the shoulder.  It should be below the face of the block when you do it correctly. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Yellow Truck

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:31:15 PM »
Thanks, I'm ordering a new set of plugs from Summit as I write this. Have to buy the whole kit to get the plug, but it is cheap compared to having to fix it later.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 12:41:45 PM »
You don't need the whole kit.

Run down to NAPA/AutoZone/Advance and ask for a PC92 plug. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Yellow Truck

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 03:53:23 PM »
Thanks, Summit didn't have it, so I called the machine shop and he'll give me one. He was surprised his guy put it in backwards, knew right away what I was talking about. He's also looking for a 3/8" expansion plug for me to close off the dipstick hole (I'm building a 445 for a 4WD F100, it takes the dipstick in through the side of the oil pan).