Author Topic: 67 Fairlane GTA 390 Headers  (Read 73550 times)

amdscooter

• View Profile
Re: 67 Fairlane GTA 390 Headers
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 01:08:01 AM »
chris_r &  hotrodfeguy, both good cam suggestions. I'm looking to keep the lift < 0.500 which is close to what the stock 427 came with. My theory is anything at or under that number should cooperate with the rest of the stock valvetrain. If I'm wrong with that please someone chime in... I'm learning as I go here!  :P 

I downloaded the Comp Camquest software and the xe262 did not come up under recommendations. I looked up the specs and the XE262H runs 0.513/0.513 lift. The Lunati runs 0.527/0.527. The 268H comes up as a "great Fit" and appears to have a nice balance of HP/Torque at 0.494/0.494. Using Comp's software as a rough I could potentially get my 390 up to 370hp/460ftlb torque keeping the bottom end low compression at 9.5:1. I'd be darn happy with that over the 270hp or so this 390 does at stock. 

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 06:00:34 AM »
I would seriously reconsider the stock springs.

A cheap set of springs like these will be far better than your tired stock springs and ensure you don't drop a valve with new keepers and locks

http://www.alexsparts.com/products/FE-FORD-VALVE-SPRING-KIT%2C-DROP-IN-FIT%2C-7-DEGREE%2C-352%252d428.html

Alex's stuff wont make any Americans rich, but its pretty decent budget stuff

At the same time, you put a set of valve seals in it, preferably you can take the time to measure the guides and buy his positively located Viton seals and it'll run cleaner than ever

That also opens up your cam options.  I think a 268H is decent, but pretty mellow, with the spring change you can add a bit more lift and get the duration up in the 220's

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:03:09 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 11:23:23 AM »
^^^ Thinking a spring change might be in the future as well. I was reading the Comp literature last night and they state a spring change is necessary even with the 268H. I've read others use the 268H and stock springs w/o issue. Anyone with first hand experience using this cam with stock springs?

I've been trying to keep the upgrades so it would not necessitate removing the heads. The springs can be done with the head still on with a bit of work so I'll look into it. Alex's stuff looks pretty good but I've never heard of his brand. How does it compare to say the Comp spring sets? Comp offers comprehensive cam kits (cam, lifters, springs, seals, keeper's, timing chain, etc.) pretty reasonably priced.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:46:53 AM by amdscooter »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012, 03:38:23 PM »
Alex's stuff is fine, Comp is good too, but make sure you are getting springs for the 1.82 installed height not at some generic height.

As far as whether the stock springs will work, I say no.  Not the way they should.  I have run stock springs on a 270H, but get what took them apart and they were 60 lbs on the seat, 180 open, and the seats were pounded away because of lack of valve control.

As far as Comp vs Alex, you were ready to run old springs...  ;)

New, stock style GT springs "should" work up to about .520 lift, but unknown pressure,, unknown age, unchecked springs are a recipe for unhappiness. 

FYI, I just got a set of these and they tested right on the money
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 03:56:33 PM »
Heh... "As far as Comp vs Alex..." I know.. I know.. I was thinking of using the stock springs.  ;D But.. if I'm going to replace the springs I'd like to know where Comp~Alex stand on the quality/fitment scale.  I did look at other cams from Comp with a bit more lift and duration. But according to Comp the only cams for my application that don't require machining on the heads (for reasons not detailed on their site or by their software) are the 260H and 268H.  :( Of the two I am leaning toward this 268H kit:

High Energy™, 268H: Cam & Kit
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:59:22 PM by amdscooter »

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »
The head machining that Comp is refering to is the spring seat on the head.
That is very misleading because you can fit a pretty stiff spring in the stock size spring seat on a FE head.
A 1.55 inch dia spring no prob.
I would cam up even more than the 268. That's only a mild cam in a 390 with a intake and headers.
I'd be looking at the 280h if staying with Comp,  but Lunati makes some pretty nice stuff for FE's as does a few other shops.

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 09:26:48 PM »
^^^^ Thanks very much for that information on the spring seat machining. Be nice if Comp were a hair more specific or had a breakdown of exactly what the codes that come up with each cam in their software meant for relative noobies like me. That "[2] Requires machining on cylinder heads" code that popped up on nearly every cam I looked at was driving me nuts.  :o

Were I to go with the 280H, do you think those Alex's springs My427stang posted the link to above would be sufficient?

Spring Specifications:

1.460" Outside Diameter
    .980" Inside Diameter
    110 Lbs @ 1.820" Valve Closed Installed Height
    265 Lbs @ .500" Lift
    300 Lbs @ .600" Lift
    No spring seat machining required

Or do you have an alternate recommendation?

Thanks!

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »
I just got my Fps headers from stan and there fantastic ! realy nice work and came with everything needed .... hopfully they fit nice ... Im 90% done building my new stroker motor ...

Chad D

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 07:41:05 AM »
^^^^ Thanks very much for that information on the spring seat machining. Be nice if Comp were a hair more specific or had a breakdown of exactly what the codes that come up with each cam in their software meant for relative noobies like me. That "[2] Requires machining on cylinder heads" code that popped up on nearly every cam I looked at was driving me nuts.  :o

Were I to go with the 280H, do you think those Alex's springs My427stang posted the link to above would be sufficient?

Spring Specifications:

1.460" Outside Diameter
    .980" Inside Diameter
    265 Lbs @ .500" Lift
    300 Lbs @ .600" Lift

Thanks!

According to the Comp cam card (http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=934&sb=0) the spring they recommend from their catalog (http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=CC&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=926-16) is pretty close, but Alex's springs aren't quite as stiff for open load , though seat load looks good. Depending on rocker/valve/retainer mass and RPM they may work fine, if you're buying a new cam, consider just buying Comp's springs to avoid finger pointing if something goes awry.

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 11:15:23 AM »
I just got my Fps headers from stan and there fantastic ! realy nice work and came with everything needed .... hopfully they fit nice ... Im 90% done building my new stroker motor ...

Great news! I still have not gotten mine yet.. due first week in Sept. If you get yours installed any time soon be sure to write back and let me know how the installation went.

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2012, 11:25:11 AM »

Spring Specifications:

1.460" Outside Diameter
    .980" Inside Diameter
    265 Lbs @ .500" Lift
    300 Lbs @ .600" Lift

Thanks!

According to the Comp cam card (http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=934&sb=0) the spring they recommend from their catalog (http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=CC&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=926-16) is pretty close, but Alex's springs aren't quite as stiff for open load , though seat load looks good. Depending on rocker/valve/retainer mass and RPM they may work fine, if you're buying a new cam, consider just buying Comp's springs to avoid finger pointing if something goes awry.

I'm kinda leaning the same way.. buy a kit vs. mix-n-match. Leaning toward the Comp k33-224-3 kit with the 268H cam. Many have said it's pretty mild.. but I'm not really looking to make a screamer here. At the end of the day if my old H code is turning out over 300hp and 400ftlb torque with new headers, exhaust, cam and intake I'll be pretty satisfied.  ;D

Toss another question in here for the field.. Edelbrock Performer RPM -or- Edelbrock Streetmaster preference for intakes? The Performer RPM can be had for about $300 new. The Streetmaster is going used for about that same price. Any preference?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:44:08 AM by amdscooter »

Chad D

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »
I've got a Comp 268H in my 390 now.  It's great off-idle to about 5000 RPM, then it peters out pretty fast.  Has a tiny bit of lope, but still an easy driver in a heavy car.  You'll be in the power range you mentioned, give or take a bit.  Either intake should be fine, but I'd go with a new Performer RPM, port it if you think you need a bit more power.

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 08:10:52 PM »
I've got a Comp 268H in my 390 now.  It's great off-idle to about 5000 RPM, then it peters out pretty fast.  Has a tiny bit of lope, but still an easy driver in a heavy car.  You'll be in the power range you mentioned, give or take a bit.  Either intake should be fine, but I'd go with a new Performer RPM, port it if you think you need a bit more power.

Good to know, I did not think the lope from the 268H would be horrible. I scored a pristine Edelbrock Streetmaster off Craigslist for $100 tonight.. pretty stoked about the purchase.  ;D

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »
Got my FPA headers in yesterday.. unfortunately they will have to go back as there was a mixup and they came bare instead of ceramic coated as I ordered. Stan has already offered to remedy the situation and they will be shipped back on Monday. I have a few questions to other FPA/FE owners.

1) My little exhaust upgrade has led to an engine refresh. I already had to take the heads off as some of the exhaust bolts simply were not comin out and the back bolt on #4 cylinder broke off. Seemed like a mistake not to freshen up the bottom end while I was at it, so the block comes out Sunday. Did any of you Fairlane owners have issues installing the motor with the headers on? I know space is already limited around the shock towers and it does not look as if they will clear pre-installed.

2) Are the back bolts on cylinder 1 & 5 used? Dosen't seem to be any way a bolt is getting on either:

:o

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
Hi Amdscooter

I have custom made headers so have no info on the bolts for you but I always pull engine and trans together WITH headers on. No problem. But with your steering box on the wrong side  :D results may vary.