Author Topic: Crites Ram-Air Hoods  (Read 4126 times)

MeanMofakee

Crites Ram-Air Hoods
« on: May 02, 2018, 01:50:49 PM »
I was just wondering if anybody here has bought a 66-7 Fairlane Ram-Air hood from Crites recently? Researching a bunch of older posts found pretty good reviews on them. Having some experience with aftermarket lightweight hoods for snowmobile racing, the "tools" they use for them have a tendency to distort and warp after a bunch of pieces are pulled out of them. I can't imagine how many hoods Crites has out there, but wanted to find out if there has been any problems with any as far as fit and finish is on ones that were produced recently. Looking at getting bumpers also. Thanks for any input!

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
Re: Crites Ram-Air Hoods
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 05:29:23 PM »
I got 1 last August ordered it in January, nice piece a little long but there is  a warp along the fender were are trying to work out. Every car will be different but some guys report that the fit was good out of the box. They told me they make about a 100 of those hoods a year.
Remember, RPM is your friend

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »
It in paint right now but it looks cool.

TomP

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:43:12 PM »
Usually the big deal with the fiberglass isn't the initial fit but what it looks like after a few years. My 64 Hood still fits nice and it is 18 years old and been parked outdoors for six of those. Old aftermarket fiberglass hoods usually curl up enough on the edges to use as a toboggan.

MeanMofakee

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 09:02:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies everybody. I don't know if Crites is the only game in town, just have to get one and see. I know a really good fiberglass guy that has helped me out in the past, but he is such an ass and hard to get to do any work.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 09:17:23 PM »
I just asked about Mustang hoods a few days ago. Here's the link: http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=5905.0;all

Kevin mentioned Glasstek. I did a quick look and they have Fairlane hoods here: http://marktesting.glasstek.com/products/ford-2/fairlane/

Doing a little research, I couldn't find any negative reviews on Glasstek. Quite the opposite actually. Just another option to consider.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

scott foxwell

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 10:01:54 AM »
I'm in the market for a ram air hood myself for my 67. Mac's/Dearborn Classics has them although a little pricy;

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/hood-427-ram-air-fiberglass-fairlane-ranchero-1966-1967.html

I don't know anything about the Mac's/DC hood.

Crites is less expensive but can be a long wait from what I hear. I've got feelers out for a used one.

cattleFEeder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »
Scott I am pretty sure crites  make the hoods for macs and Dearborn classics.

scott foxwell

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 10:16:57 PM »
Scott I am pretty sure crites  make the hoods for macs and Dearborn classics.
I read somewhere that a company named Stinger Fiberglass was making them. I think you're right, they're all coming from one place.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 02:44:09 AM »
I bought the non ram air version. Fit was good straight out of the box.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 10:14:46 AM »
  My Crites hood is 40 years old and is still warp free. The fit is less than perfect but considering it's on hinges and the originals were pinned only it is still a very nice hood.

TomP

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 04:55:22 PM »
   Yes that is the very same car I have raced for 44 years. For 27 of those years it was blue as you see. Then it was powered by a Boss 302.  I have returned it back to the original white with blue side stripes.It is an original white with blue side stripes ( yes blue) Hertz rent a car. I still use the C4 trans too.
    I bought it because my other GT350 was a 4 speed and was hard on drive train parts. There is a more current video on utube  and a video story too as others have mentioned here. I see where Bangshift mentions Chad Langdon . Chad and Shawn's mom  Debbie both drove my Shelby at OCIR while I raced other cars i had.
      Randy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 09:33:48 AM by gt350hr »

scott foxwell

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 08:32:18 AM »
Called Crites yesterday. 16-18 weeks for the ram air hood. I went ahead and ordered mine.

TomP

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 07:14:56 PM »
You would think it'd be a popular enough seller to have a couple on the shelf ready to send.

MeanMofakee

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 03:48:45 PM »
Just giving this thread a bump to see if there has been any changes to the wait time on ram-air hood. I suppose I could contact Crites directly but what have any of you been told?

57 lima bean

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 09:58:46 PM »
27 weeks for a friends 67 Fairlane hood.Thankfully it got to the painter in time for the custom work.The car is 98% done now and will be shown at the GSTA show in a couple of weeks.The painter did his magic while having cemo and said restoring the car was as much therapy as any treatment could be.His memorial was Sunday.