Author Topic: ice ignition  (Read 6330 times)

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
ice ignition
« on: June 12, 2015, 10:50:18 AM »
i was reading a post on the msd ignition as opposed to mallory.  and how msd was better.  i have seen on you tube about ice ignition  and how they are better than msd.  i explored this option for this ignition and tried to get in contact with ice ignition and just no luck at all trying to speak with anybody.   i wish i could post the thread from youtube but i know its on their.  also is their anybody in here that has run or is running that ignition?

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: ice ignition
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 11:15:33 AM »
I have never run ICE ignition but have used both Mallory and MSD . I think they both have good stuff and think it all depends on the application. Mallory seems to make good dependable products that seem to hold up very well in street rods and 4x4 off road stuff. As far as serious high performance and especially racing conditions I would give the nod to MSD. I use all MSD in my race car cept for the distributor itself. Its an old gutted out Mallory YL that I use with my MSD crank trigger ignition.  Maybe I should take a look at this ICE ignition you speak of.. lol
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fairlanegt427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 04:24:40 PM »
ice had a spectrograph if i remember it being called that on you tube and they compared their spark duration and energy to msd and to be honest they blew the pants off of msd.  im not beating them up (msd) but watch the video and they do prove it. if i remember right i searched for ice ignition on you tube.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 04:53:58 PM »
An ignition has one purpose, to produce a spark. That's it. Multiple spark discharges, rev limiters etc. are all just additions to what it's primary purpose is. ICE is comparing themselves to MSD for a reason, because they are the best. An MSD has PLENTY of amperage to jump a plug, unless you're running Top Fuel. And multiple sparks below 3000 rpm is as good as it can get. If ICE is saying that they make more power or something similar compared to MSD, it is snake-oil salesmanship. They could put out a kajillion volts with a bazillion amps (those are actual mesurements ;D) and it would not make one difference to your engine.

There are thousands and thousands, if not millions, of vehicles running just fine with lesser ignition systems than a MSD. The fact that you can't get ahold of anyone at ICE is enough to stay away from them. MSD has great customer service.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fairlanegt427

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »
i understand and agree with what your saying and your points are considered.  i dont hate any specific ignition company but as you know if it can get a guy more power e.t. why wouldnt a guy look into it jmo.  heck i have an msd on the big motor i have and it runs fine,   the 428 i have shoot it has an  accell race 2 dual point on it and it doesnt skip a beat,  but wow a set of racing points sets a guy back just about a hundred bucks (ouch)

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »
I checked them out. It is an interesting system. Here is a link to a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks88w-fi8tE

Their claim is that TOTAL energy is more because their spark lasts longer, as in one long spark is equaling more total energy than MSD's multiple sparks. The problem with this claim is that it only takes ONE spark to ignite the fuel. If the first spark ignites the fuel, then the rest do no good whatsoever. Multiple sparks (or one long spark) would help when starting an engine. I've seen the benefits of a hotter spark while starting, on my own engines. But compared to MSD, it's like saying that having $1,000,001 is better than having $1,000,000. It's pretty moot, in my opinion.

I do have a problem with the guy bragging about having so much energy that the insulator begins to glow. That can't be good for ANY plug. And if in fact it IS glowing red (and you can see it in the video), then that is an ignition source for detonation/pre-ignition.

Their control boxes may be good products if they are dependable and have neat options for controlling, retards etc. But once again, if you can't get ahold of them, then no price or options availability is worth the product.

edit to add: I'm not saying that their products are no good, but I'd pretty much bet that you wouldn't see one single bit of actual real world data that would prove them better than a good MSD/Duraspark or something similar. Whether it was HP figures or ET slips. If the cylinder fires, it's job is done.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 05:23:03 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 06:09:44 PM »
ICE Ignition is made here in Australia, and they have a big reputation here for being a really good product. I personally have not used any of their parts, but you do see them on a lot of very fast cars. A friend of mine uses their set up on his BB Mopar, and he loves it. They are a bit pricey, and I would imagine by the time it gets to the U.S., it would be pricier. However, our dollar is about US$0.65 at the moment, so that should take some of the pain out for you guys.

Having said all that, all my cars run MSD ignition systems.

fairlanegt427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 06:17:49 PM »
i agree if theirs spark theirs fire and thats all you need,  and when i seen the plug turning red hot i think detonation issues  are right behind it.  i have tried at least three times  to get a hold of a representative from ice over the past 2 years and i am still waiting for that reply.  so as we all know customer service is king,  im not beating up you aussies by any means but ice service here in the u.s.a. stinks.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
personally i have always been pleased with MSD products and especially there customer service  and tech support. Also the diagnostic tools and test equipment they offer so you can easily diagnose and adjust your own ignition systems .
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fairlanegt427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 08:58:48 AM »
i agree on the msd customer service i have only used their stuff once,  but i did have a question at the time when i was installing their stuff an called and they were very helpful so kudos to them for that,  plus their instructions for installing stuff were really easy to understand.  they put it it layman terms.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 09:03:57 AM »
Australia has a LOT of car nuts, and shipping expenses get high for them to get US made products. So it makes perfect sense that they would develop many of their own lines of products, and it probably is very cost beneficial to them. Anything that helps them get a good product for cheaper cost and ease of availability is a good thing.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 03:44:50 PM »
It would appear that a number of Engine Master competitors are using the ICE ignition set ups. Good enough for me.

I've run Mallory, MSD, ACCEL, Electromotive, and even a Holley Annihilator Box with no problems. Had a MSD 6A quit once in 30 years. They fixed it and charged only shipping...that's why I run their junk.

On our Bonneville project we have a DUI Chevy-look'n thing on our 460. When it was getting dyno tested at Westec I asked Steve Brule, the western rep for MSD, if there were any MSD products that would make more power or be more reliable, he kinda looked down and gave a hardly audible "no". It does make the 385 look even more like a Rat Motor.

Points are stupid.   

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 04:41:20 PM »
Lol Tommy-T.... As a former electrical engineer with a specialty in switching power supplies, truer words have never been spoken.  Points ARE stupid. :)

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 11:40:43 PM »
With the inroads ICE is making and the attitude of the new management at MSD, the writing is on the wall. And it doesnt say "MSD".