Author Topic: FE Crate Engines  (Read 4352 times)

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
FE Crate Engines
« on: February 08, 2022, 05:45:56 PM »
Are there any crate builders that you guys have used? The googles shows quite a few, one even near me(http://www.cmengines.com/). Problem is knowing the quality of the builds, not like there are Amazon review to check out.

I've got a '63 Merc Colony Park with a 390 that is at the end of it's run. Lots of blow by at highway speeds. I'd like to get something I can go down the highway and know I can stomp the gas and pass. I'd also like to get a vintage air unit, or something comparable, so I can drive it in the summer here(South Carolina) without sticking to the seat after 10 minutes.

Just thought I'd see if anyone had any first hand knowledge.

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: FE Crate Engines
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 06:54:01 PM »
There prob better than a Jasper or auto zone engine. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 07:19:02 PM »
I have not seen anyone trustworthy that offers a real FE "crate motor". Jasper shows some FE's in the catalogue but it looks like most of them are not inventory so you'd have to send your long block to them and they'd rebuild it and send it back.

I'm not a big fan of Jasper. They are a great deal for the shop owner, but not so great for the vehicle owner.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 07:57:18 PM »
If you want a finished engine, go talk to a machinist.  If they can't find you a core, then turn your car over to them, let them pull the engine and do an overhaul.  The only crate engine I can recall was from Roush and that ain't a cheapie. 

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 10:08:29 PM »
Call Factory Five Racing. 508 291 3443. They have connections with a crate engine builder as a service to those who buy their kits to build a Cobra or other Ford-focused performance car. I'm sure they'll tell you who they use. You can buy either a 427 CID small-block or an FE.

KS

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 05:26:27 AM »
Maybbe instead of crate motor I should have said engine builder. Although they'd still have to ship it.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 08:21:08 AM »
Maybe call folks like Brent, Barry, et al first and see if they can supply a complete engine. That or source a local builder to get a quote on rebuilding your current engine. Heck, if our group knows where you live, perhaps a poster can recommend a nearby builder who knows FE's.
Bob Maag

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 10:40:12 AM »
I'm in Columbia, SC.

I actually had someone helping me build a block I bought. We got the crank and pistons in then he vanished. I am not confident in my ability to finish it correctly. it's been sitting for a few years in my garage.

Maybe call folks like Brent, Barry, et al first and see if they can supply a complete engine. That or source a local builder to get a quote on rebuilding your current engine. Heck, if our group knows where you live, perhaps a poster can recommend a nearby builder who knows FE's.

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 11:25:36 AM »
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 01:37:16 PM »
...We got the crank and pistons in then he vanished. I am not confident in my ability to finish it correctly. it's been sitting for a few years in my garage.

With the crank and pistons in, you got the hard part done.  If everything turns over freely, you got the cam and the top end to finish it off.  That is really pretty easy and is nearly unskilled labor.  Not quite, but nearly so.  Enough that with some YT videos and help here, you could polish it off.  Yes.  I understand that if you've never done it, it seems like rocket surgery.  But it's a lot easier than you think.  Just because you've never done it doesn't mean you can't.

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 03:53:50 PM »
Thats about 2 hours away. Never saw them in my googling before.
how far is this shop from you

https://www.prestigemoto.com/custom-engines/ford-fe-engines.html

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 03:59:27 PM »
You’re probably right. I think i just am paranoid of making a basic mistake that ruins it.
I’vegot timing chain on and the assembly rotates nicely. 
...We got the crank and pistons in then he vanished. I am not confident in my ability to finish it correctly. it's been sitting for a few years in my garage.

With the crank and pistons in, you got the hard part done.  If everything turns over freely, you got the cam and the top end to finish it off.  That is really pretty easy and is nearly unskilled labor.  Not quite, but nearly so.  Enough that with some YT videos and help here, you could polish it off.  Yes.  I understand that if you've never done it, it seems like rocket surgery.  But it's a lot easier than you think.  Just because you've never done it doesn't mean you can't.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 07:37:57 PM »
O.K. fellas, we need to keep the assembly going. I do think we all can help here to get this puppy up and running. Let's all chime in here with an assembly list, with details. 

Head gaskets-if you have them tell us the type/make and instructions from the maker. Important to know if they are MLS, steel or other.

Intake gaskets- once again, type/maker, etc.
Bob Maag

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 06:09:16 AM »
I do have the head gaskets, I'll have to go look at the box to see what mfg they are.
I have to assembly the rockers and install on the heads.
O.K. fellas, we need to keep the assembly going. I do think we all can help here to get this puppy up and running. Let's all chime in here with an assembly list, with details. 

Head gaskets-if you have them tell us the type/make and instructions from the maker. Important to know if they are MLS, steel or other.

Intake gaskets- once again, type/maker, etc.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 01:46:11 PM »
Get a good detailed list of everything you have for the build....finished, unfinished, new and used (include part numbers and manufacturer if you have it)

This will be a great place to start because if we know what you have we can better steer you towards what you need, and what to do with all of it once in hand.

Concerning an engine shop....Right here you can find a few very good shops.
FE's are a bit tricky and the shops that are well versed in 350 Chevy small and big blocks might not know the details of properly building an FE....Lots of it is similar, but not the same as other engines.

I don't know your budget but I will inform you from direct experience....Paying up front to build the engine correctly the first time is well worth it.
If built correctly the engine will run best, give little troubles (FE's always need some petting) and basically lead to enjoying your collector car because the engine just works when you turn the key.

If built, okay, but not correctly, it is likely you will be fiddling with the engine a lot, even if it is just tiny irritances and adjustments. This can lead to frustration with your collector car and less enjoyment over time.

If built incorrectly you will be rebuilding again....and again....and yet again. At which point you will have invested enough money and time to have paid for a full race version of the street engine you have. By the way, a built incorrectly FE will run and drive at first, so it does not seem like it was rebuilt incorrectly.

Do not cheap out on this rebuild...it is not worth the "savings" in the long run.
This does not mean you have to throw money at and FE to get a good rebuild.
It means you must know what needs to be done and then do that correctly.