Author Topic: Ford Tach ID  (Read 1389 times)

frnkeore

• View Profile
Ford Tach ID
« on: November 21, 2019, 06:53:15 PM »
I've had this tach for more than 20 years but, haven't been able to ID what car it might have come out of. Does anyone have any idea's?

I've seen a lot of HP ford cars but, haven't seen anything like this tach. My only assumption is that it was a either a option on a Mustang, of some sort or possibly one of the Boss engine tachs?

The outside diameter is 3 13/16" and it went into a 3 3/8" hole. It has a red and black wire and a blue wire for the light.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 06:58:27 PM by frnkeore »
Frank

427mach1

• View Profile
Re: Ford Tach ID
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 08:36:15 PM »
Are there any markings on it anywhere?  I know Ford sold a lot of accessories like this over the counter back in the 60's - 70's.  There are several on e-bay that look virtually identical except a Cobra marking in place of the Ford emblem.

Kevin66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 09:52:48 PM »
I've had this tach for more than 20 years but, haven't been able to ID what car it might have come out of. Does anyone have any idea's?

I've seen a lot of HP ford cars but, haven't seen anything like this tach. My only assumption is that it was a either a option on a Mustang, of some sort or possibly one of the Boss engine tachs?

The outside diameter is 3 13/16" and it went into a 3 3/8" hole. It has a red and black wire and a blue wire for the light.

Looks like the Ford C6AZ-17A326-G 9,000 RPM, 250º face tach sold over the counter in their 'Muscle Parts' program. That number suggests it dates from 1996. I don't know if it was ever available in any factory built vehicle, but suspect it was probably a dealer-installed option.
"In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they are not!"

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 01:37:16 AM »
Thank you for the response.

There was a part # in ink, stamped on the back but, it's faded until it can not be read, at all. I put different lighting on it, at different angle and I can't see anything but smudges.

Kevin, is your 1996 dating a typo? C6 would indicate 1966.

I'll do a search for that part #.
Frank

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 02:34:28 AM »
I just did a search for that part # and found this, by John64 on the FordFE forum:

"look at face of the tach, around trim ring. It should be printed Thomas Faria Corp. The tach you have is an dealer option Tach. The Ford logo tach was available at least up until 1973. The tach I had was similar to yours (but a 9,000 rpm version) had a D3 part #. They are exactly like the mid 60's Cobra tachs except for the Ford logo and adjustable redline needle in the glass. The tach kits included another wiring harness that plugged into the tach and connected under the dash. If you don't have an early ignition switch with a single plug connector to connected the tach in series, you will need to splice into the resistor wire (usually "PINK" colored) from the ign switch."

The picture links are dead in the thread (2007) but, I did find a picture of the Cobra tach and it is the same tach.

Mind doesn't have Faria on the face but, it does have the same wiring colors. So, I guess it is a D3AZ-17A326-G part #.

If anyone has more info, I'd still like to hear it.
Frank

Kevin66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 03:54:59 AM »
Looks like the Ford C6AZ-17A326-G 9,000 RPM, 250º face tach sold over the counter in their 'Muscle Parts' program. That number suggests it dates from 1966. I don't know if it was ever available in any factory built vehicle, but suspect it was probably a dealer-installed option.

You're right...my typo should have said 1966, not '96.
Here's the pic from the 1969 Muscle Parts catalog.

"In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they are not!"

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 11:47:58 AM »
Great Kevin, that solves it. Thank you.
Frank