Poll

Which of these valve covers would you be interested in?

Pentroof cast aluminum, plain
64 (71.1%)
Pentroof cast aluminum, finned
23 (25.6%)
Neither; prefer valve covers that are already available elsewhere
3 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Thinking about casting some valve covers...  (Read 63061 times)

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about casting some valve covers...
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2016, 12:44:49 PM »
I'm with Thor on this , out of my little collection of VC's the baldies are hands down the easiest VC to pull plugs , to remove for valve adjustment , tighten header bolts and ect on my shock tower car 63 Lane , even with the 1/2 spacers it doesn't get any better than the Baldies for service .... the tall Cobra's require shock tower brace removal to get the VC's off the car and plug removal is a bit of a PIA with the cobras as you can't get your hand between the shock tower and VC

FElony

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2016, 01:10:40 PM »
No need to spread misinformation about Ansen (you do know that company was sold several years ago to a more modernized outfit, which is why we are seeing many more styles and options now, right?).

Sigh. To be clear, it is not misinformation if it is true.

But it isn't true. You stated the perceived compromise in casting integrity in the present tense, when that hasn't been the case for several years. Why would you want people to shy away from buying a new Ansen piece for a non-existent reason? Isn't the purpose of discussion forums to hone in on accuracy? Wouldn't it have been more reasonable to ask if Ansen was still using old production methods on current items, or even if anybody has ever seen chunks of old valve covers break off in use and get into the engine? You created the hijack with your statement, not me.

FElony

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »
My last post in this thread (hopefully). The four twenty-NINE Cobra Jet finned aluminum covers have not been reproduced (AFAIK), and I would ascertain the demand for those to be much higher than for any FE cover, at this point. I know you don't want to diversify, but profits from that part could help fund other endeavors. Just an idea.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2016, 08:19:01 PM »
That's an interesting idea, but as far as I know, the 429CJ covers were die cast, not sand cast.  Tooling for a die cast cover would be a good 10 times more than for a sand cast cover; probably can't afford that - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2016, 09:00:21 PM »
Just got back from wheeling' in the no phone zone so I missed the first 5 pages.
My vote goes to a BT style and paying' extra cash for the logo of our choice which in my case would be FE Power.
It kinda says what I want it to say.
The thunderbird logo is cool too.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2016, 09:38:50 PM »

But it isn't true. You stated the perceived compromise in casting integrity in the present tense, when that hasn't been the case for several years. Why would you want people to shy away from buying a new Ansen piece for a non-existent reason? Isn't the purpose of discussion forums to hone in on accuracy? Wouldn't it have been more reasonable to ask if Ansen was still using old production methods on current items, or even if anybody has ever seen chunks of old valve covers break off in use and get into the engine? You created the hijack with your statement, not me.

Don't recall stating a perceived compromise in casting integrity. I did describe the product as being unimpressive, the present tense being appropriate since the product is still in my hands and still fails to impress. I don't understand why you are so indignant about the poor castings I have, but unfortunately it doesn't improve them, they are still unimpressive.

For someone with little to say you certainly use a lot of words. Since only the mad bark back at a dog I'll let this lie.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2016, 03:40:55 AM »
That's an interesting idea, but as far as I know, the 429CJ covers were die cast, not sand cast.  Tooling for a die cast cover would be a good 10 times more than for a sand cast cover; probably can't afford that - Jay
Jay.
 There is a shop in my town that die cast aluminium parts. They make their own molds out
of graphite in a cnc mill.
 They have borrowed old car parts from me to copy that cant be high
production items or high price each so.... you have NC machines so wort checking ma by

They have asked me for the address to company's that sell reproduction parts and they have
started to cast some repro parts so ma by they can cast the valvecovers for you
If you are interested  i can give you the contact information. Or i Can ask him to contact you
they are just a 5 minutes drive from me and i know the owner very well

Some in this tread is asking for the baldy covers with Ford,Thunderbird, block letters
I think that cover would be possible to diecast then just polish and it will lock like the
OG chromed cover  But you ma by are after the sand cast texture
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 04:37:49 AM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »
The 429 CJ aluminum valve covers were actually cast in Japan as far as I know.  They were very thin and cracked easily around the bolt holes which is one reason they bring quite a bit of money today.  But they do have one other drawback, they are fairly short and the rockers will hit the inside of the cover with only a small increase in cam lift - another reason why they were removed and usually replaced with M/T covers.  So far no one has reproduced them, but if they did a small increase in height would make them much more useful.

FElony

« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2016, 02:21:58 PM »
The 429 CJ aluminum valve covers were actually cast in Japan as far as I know.  They were very thin and cracked easily around the bolt holes which is one reason they bring quite a bit of money today.  But they do have one other drawback, they are fairly short and the rockers will hit the inside of the cover with only a small increase in cam lift - another reason why they were removed and usually replaced with M/T covers.  So far no one has reproduced them, but if they did a small increase in height would make them much more useful.

Do you have any links about the Made in Japan thing? I would have thought they'd be produced where the FE and Cleve/Boss covers were made.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2016, 07:18:35 PM »
No web links, something I was told years ago pre-dating this internet thing.  The valve covers have a NPC or similar logo underneath. 

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2016, 07:30:04 PM »
The statement:

"the 429 CJ aluminum valve covers were actually cast in Japan as far as I know.  They were very thin and cracked easily around the bolt holes which is one reason they bring quite a bit of money today."

This thread just sent my butt out to check out one of the three pairs of 429CJ/429PI/429SCJ factory VC's I own. IF those covers are sand cast all I can say is the precision is awesome. They have small type-print raised part numbers inside and very intricate casting protuberances that locate the breather baffle and drip-rails. Seems to me IF they were sand cast they would not be a smooth as they are?...... Their inside surfaces are just as smooth as the outside's.  That is some darn impressive casting. Odd I guess but none of mine are cracked - I always thought the 385 series cast VCs were far stronger than the factory BOSS 302/351C VC's that crack just by looking at them. If I recall (?) there were early/late BOSS 302/351C VC's with the later's being a bit less prone to cracking. There were an awful lot of "factory" BOSS 302/351C VC's that were available with all sorts of different designs on them*. I never collected or went after BOSS 302/351C VC's  but I watched my cohorts go after them.
 *I vaguely recall Cougars, Ford Motorsport, Pantera and Ford Industrial versions

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2016, 08:02:44 PM »
Since 429-460s were brought up.... As some of you probably know, valve cover options for the 385 series motor is rather limited, especially if you are wanting a vintage hotrod look. Something I'd like to see are some adapters to put BBC valve covers on a 460. I think they would be a good seller too. Then you could use some CalCustom or Offenhauser covers or anything that doesn't have Chebby wrote on it or a bowtie. I've heard of someone CNC milling a set and here is a pic of the motor. I know they are BBC covers but you have to admit it does look pretty good.  :)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:05:10 PM by AlanCasida »

FElony

« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2016, 10:13:54 PM »
The statement:

"the 429 CJ aluminum valve covers were actually cast in Japan as far as I know.  They were very thin and cracked easily around the bolt holes which is one reason they bring quite a bit of money today."

This thread just sent my butt out to check out one of the three pairs of 429CJ/429PI/429SCJ factory VC's I own. IF those covers are sand cast all I can say is the precision is awesome. They have small type-print raised part numbers inside and very intricate casting protuberances that locate the breather baffle and drip-rails. Seems to me IF they were sand cast they would not be a smooth as they are?...... Their inside surfaces are just as smooth as the outside's.  That is some darn impressive casting. Odd I guess but none of mine are cracked - I always thought the 385 series cast VCs were far stronger than the factory BOSS 302/351C VC's that crack just by looking at them. If I recall (?) there were early/late BOSS 302/351C VC's with the later's being a bit less prone to cracking. There were an awful lot of "factory" BOSS 302/351C VC's that were available with all sorts of different designs on them*. I never collected or went after BOSS 302/351C VC's  but I watched my cohorts go after them.
 *I vaguely recall Cougars, Ford Motorsport, Pantera and Ford Industrial versions

I just pulled mine off the shelf (one used set and one NOS) and here's what I found. There is a small round insignia in the center underneath with a diamond shape inside, with three segments in each side of the diamond. Inside the diamond there is "N.P.C.". There is a wall-to-wall screw-in steel baffle under the breather hole and a screw-in drip rail in a canted arrangement. No cracks in the bosses or anywhere else.

I found no evidence on the Web of these being a Japan product. Here's the funny part: Being an incredibly intelligent (modestly so) dude, I said to myself, "Self, unless that N.P.C. stands for something like Nippon Precision Casting, this'n here covers were surely made in the U.S. of A". I paused for a moment, had another swig of Stoli, and checked just for giggles. Hoo-yah.  http://www.npc-c.co.jp/about/

I amaze myself sometimes. Usually when I'm sauced. So there ya go; although not an absolute, I say friggin' close enough, and I side for now on the "Made in Japan" story. I have not checked my OEM stash of 428CJ covers; I may crumble under the sheer weight. Two semi-colons in one paragraph. Ain't you guys lucky?

Since 429-460s were brought up.... As some of you probably know, valve cover options for the 385 series motor is rather limited, especially if you are wanting a vintage hotrod look.

I'm kind of in wonder that Ansen has not done any 385-series covers at all. I called them 2 or 3 times a couple years back bitching about the lack of 390 numbered covers, and now look. Coincidence? Probably. People snap to attention when they hear my name so well I can't even get extra sauce on the drive-thru burger. Dangerfield looked like a monarch compared to me. But I'll give it a shot since Jay's gonna putz out on me. What's that, like 5 or 6 times my business advice is ignored in this forum? Geez. I'd ask Trump for an advisory position, but he's gonna have access to FBI files, and that ain't good for me no way no how.

Oh well. I have 460 Blue Thunder covers that are beautiful pieces. Got them from Dennis; most I ever paid for a pair of covers, but worth it.

abyars

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2016, 10:27:24 AM »
Jay, I think your idea is great.

I still use tin "Powered By Ford" valve covers because they're not available in aluminum.  I'd pay extra to have a cast alum. set with "Powered By Ford" milled in them.

I use AutoCAD everyday if you need any help producing a drawing for the CNC mill.
Anthony Byars
1970 Ford F250 Crew Cab 390 C6
1955 Chevrolet 4 door sedan
2004 Ford Expedition

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2016, 07:09:54 PM »
You might get a cease and desist letter from Ford by casting, stamping, or applying "Ford" to a car part being sold as retail unless your a licensed manufacturer or retailer.

Actually I think most of the die cast 429 CJ covers around today came from 70-72 Police Interceptor engines.  Most of these were painted blue.  Back in the day I pulled tons, literally, of 429 CJ engines out of yards.  Wish I had kept more of the parts.  Scrapped out a 3 foot high stack of the flex fans because every single one of them had cracked fan blades.  Back then no one thought too much about the cast iron C6 tailshafts and it was way cooler to use the aluminum version.  Actually no one wanted C6's and you couldn't give them away and I scrapped them or offered them for free.