Author Topic: Still discovering the mistakes I made...Holley Blue burnt up.  (Read 6599 times)

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Still discovering the mistakes I made...Holley Blue burnt up.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 02:41:14 PM »
Been a long time since was involved - but the old HP Carter was a darn good little pump.  Fuel was intentionally circulated through the motor to keep it cool.  They put out plenty of fuel for most street builds.  Around 70 gallons per hour - math is 70 times +/- 6 lbs per gallon equals 420 pounds of fuel per hour.  Assuming a brake specific of .5 (pretty conservative these days) you can support 840 horsepower with that - leaving you with perhaps a 60-70% margin of safety to account for line drag, bends and such. 

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 10:17:56 PM »
Got the Carter today, will install it tomorrow and then try to find the coolant leak. Interesting, the Carter is SUPPOSED to be installed with the pump over the motor, still feel stupid for installing the Holley that way, just not as stupid.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2019, 09:58:40 AM »
Got the Carter in yesterday. Surprised at the small gauge wires, but it works. It is much quieter than the Holley. In a pleasantly surprising turn I had some fuel leaks from the carb inlet (had to re-jet it for sea level operation) and was looking for new inlet gaskets at the local auto parts place. They didn't have them but the previous owner was there and he thought he had some at home.

He called me later to say the ones he had were perished but gave me the phone number of one of my new neighbours (I just moved) who had some. The neighbour is an older fellow with a small machine shop in his garage and bins of Holley parts, and a cobra replica.

Good luck to meet some locals who know the local suppliers and who have a supply of parts. Should be able to get it buttoned up and started today.

445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 06:42:39 PM »
For what it is worth, the Carter is MUCH quieter than the Holley Blue. I haven't had any downside to swapping the Holley for the Carter, except for having to pony up for the Carter after burning up the Holley.

I am extremely happy with how it is running - lumpy enough on idle but not labouring, hits hard at 2,000 up to 6,000. I am still getting some run-on (dieseling). The primary and secondary plates are closed down as much as possible. Barry R suggested on at least two occasions a cut off solenoid. I do have a spare 12V line under the hood (dumped the electric choke), but is this a standard product or something I have to put together from parts?

Paul.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 07:21:16 PM »
Good to hear the CarterHP is still a great pump.  I've been thrilled with mine.
Sure make priming a carb and checking for leaks with the engine off a breeze.

winr1

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 07:37:48 AM »
I think those were typically for like a/c, raising the idle slightly to compensate for the load.  But, no reason it couldn't be used for anti dieseling.  As long as it has enough stroke to close the throttle when power is removed.
Larry

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »
Could Barry have meant an idle solenoid ??

https://www.google.com/search?ei=qmkAXd2wGdL2swWj_rDIDA&q=cut+off+solenoid+for+holley+carb

Ricky.
I hope Barry will chime in with some specifics.

Unrelated to the run-on problem I found it very strange that when I pulled the coach off the moving van it was low on coolant, and had coolant on the top of the intake as well as a drip down the front of the engine. Since I got here I topped up the coolant and haven't seen any sign of a leak since.

Paul.

Tobbemek

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 05:43:20 AM »
The Idle solenoid was used on several HP cars OEM style without AC. Like BOSS 429 , HEMI426

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2019, 07:39:53 PM »
Im with Rory, and I have a couple gennie CARTER made "carter" pumps, they are decent pumps on a mild street car, but for anything that is going to see some track time with slicks, I love holley blues, and I find them anvil reliable. They have to mounted so that there is always fuel "head" on the inlet side, below and behind the tank, if they cavitate, they die. Other than that, very reliable, for me at least. And personally, I LIKE the noise, you always know they are working... ;D

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2019, 07:49:04 PM »
Im with Rory, and I have a couple gennie CARTER made "carter" pumps, they are decent pumps on a mild street car, but for anything that is going to see some track time with slicks, I love holley blues, and I find them anvil reliable. They have to mounted so that there is always fuel "head" on the inlet side, below and behind the tank, if they cavitate, they die. Other than that, very reliable, for me at least. And personally, I LIKE the noise, you always know they are working... ;D

Actually, there is another way for them to die - install them with the pump above the motor, then start the vehicle in -25. The seals and pump drive shaft contract at different rates so fuel can seep into the motor and burn it up. Other than that (and the noise) it was a reliable pump.

Paul.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2019, 08:57:51 PM »

Actually, there is another way for them to die - install them with the pump above the motor, then start the vehicle in -25. The seals and pump drive shaft contract at different rates so fuel can seep into the motor and burn it up. Other than that (and the noise) it was a reliable pump.
Well, yes, but I kinda figured that was a given ;). Pumping valve lapping compound through them will do it as well... ;D
Actually there is another possible, you guys down there have all that ethanol laced stuff they sell as "gas" ;D I am not sure how they do with that slop, I use Chevron 94, its corn squeezins free.
Sorry, just realized you are a fellow Canuck, but I don't know what they have in the prairies for gas.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 09:11:25 PM by falcongeorge »

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2019, 11:56:04 PM »
I was running Shell, but switched to a higher octane with some ethanol. Now on Vancouver island I am running Chevron 94 with no corn syrup, and it is quite happy. Helps that -25 F starts are no longer in the mix.

Paul.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 08:00:30 PM »
I was running Shell, but switched to a higher octane with some ethanol. Now on Vancouver island I am running Chevron 94 with no corn syrup, and it is quite happy. Helps that -25 F starts are no longer in the mix.
you are gonna love chevron 94. Good stuff, if you are running tight squish, outside air, blocked heat risers and a decent rear gear it will take 210 psi cranking no problem. I have run 12.7/1 on it with a 280ish@050 cam, 4.56s, 4500 converter and outside air, no problem. its the good stuff.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:02:22 PM by falcongeorge »