Author Topic: Still discovering the mistakes I made...Holley Blue burnt up.  (Read 6597 times)

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
So I didn't really read the installation instructions closely enough and didn't notice that it said "should be installed ... with the motor motor on top." It would have been helpful if it was in BOLD and CAPS, but still no excuse for not reading them carefully. Anyway, I installed it with the  motor under the pump, and it worked fine for 3 years and a total of about 50 hours of running time (tops).

Went to move the truck from Calgary to Vancouver Island, and the mover was going to put the truck in the moving van. It was -30 out the day it moved, truck was outside overnight so we could get the garage ready to load, and I put a space heater (small electric) under the hood so it would start. No problem, but as it was being driven up onto the tow truck bed to lift it up to the moving van the tow operator was hooking the straps to the frame and noticed the pump was smoking. Shut it down, got it into the van, and about a month later had the truck delivered to the new house.

Went out to sort it out today and the pump had failed. Pulled it off and it was fried. Gas had gotten in and it is burnt. I think I'd like to change to a quieter pump and have been told Carter pumps are quieter. Now I am running a 445, hydraulic roller cam with 234/240 duration at 0.050 lift, BBM heads, a Holley Street Dominator intake, and a Quick Fuel 830 SS. The Holley is rated for 110 gph at 9 PSI, and it is preset for 14 PSI.

Do I need 110 GPH? What can an engine like this actually use? Also, I see Carter has some pumps preset for 7 PSI. Is this a better idea than regulating a 14 PSI pump down to 7 PSI?
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Still discovering the mistakes I made...Holley Blue burnt up.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 04:15:57 PM »

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 06:26:26 PM »
Thanks, Drew. BTW really liked your explanation of a carb running through both primary and secondary and running out of air in the rather sad thread about AJ's engine disaster on the dyno.

I note in the link to the Summit ad it says the pump will push 50 GPH, I assume from the fact you recommended it that 50 GPH is plenty, but I still wonder how much a 445 can actually burn at WOT.

I also note that it is regulated to 4.5 PSI in the Summit ad, you suggest regulating the pressure to 5.5. First, if the pump only puts out 4.5, why regulate to 5.5? Second, are you actually suggesting that I still need to regulate the pressure in a secondary regulator? I would love to eliminate the regulator but not if it is providing a valuable service.
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

FB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 06:27:26 PM »
Drew, those Carters are made in china. i certainly would recommend something different, i know the price is attractive but i for one like to have some faith i'm not going to be burnt to a crisp from a chi-com pump
Fred

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 06:32:12 PM »
Fred, not a fan of Chinese manufacturing (even if my iPhone is made in Taiwan) but I don't want another Holley because they are so loud. May take the chance.

Paul.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 06:49:18 PM »
I have three of these pumps.
One on each vehicle and one as a spare.  My daily driver 390 in the pickup and the other in my Galaxie, where it feeds 447ci.
been about 5 years, no issues.  But ya know how it goes, companies swap manufacturing and the quality changes.
I can only speak to my experience.
I used to recommend the QuickFuel Billet regulators as well, but now that they were bought by Holley, I dunno if they've changed or not.

Yes yes Summit states that this pump makes 4.5psi this isn't true on either of my vehicles.
With factory small tubing the pressure is 5.5psi unregulated.  On my car with -8 running from the tank pickup to the carbs where it splits to -6 It will run higher pressures, upwards of 7.5psi.  You stated you had a regulator, so no worry either way.

Any rate, just my two cents

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 07:51:50 PM »
I switched from a modified old blue Holley. I went to the new billet HP150. It is a gerotor design and is whisper quiet. If the engine is running, I have to look at the gauge to make sure the pump is on.....Even if the engine is off, you can barely hear it.

You could get the smaller HP125 if you want.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 10:17:53 PM »
Fred, not a fan of Chinese manufacturing (even if my iPhone is made in Taiwan) but I don't want another Holley because they are so loud. May take the chance.

I’ve had Holleys and have a Carter in my car now, it’s not exactly quiet. I can hear mine over the engine at idle, for instance.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 11:48:45 PM »
Just wondering, but why not just use a mechanical fuel pump? I assume it is mainly a street car. A good mechanical fuel pump should have no problem feeding a healthy FE engine, no noise, no electrical concerns.
Concerning the Holley "Blue" electric pumps, other than being noisy, I have had very good luck with them, I had one in my 85 Mustang Stock Eliminator car, that I raced from 2003 until I sold it 2 years ago, as far as I know, that same pump is still working fine. And my Fairmont has had the same "blue" pumps under the car for over 30 years, still work fine.
But when I needed to chose a fuel pump for my 428 CJ powered 59 2 door sedan project, I went with a Carter mechanical unit, that looks just like a factory 428 CJ pump. I don`t know where this pump was made, hopefully it works well, whenever I get around to finishing it.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 05:23:22 AM »
I ran a mechanical on mine as well, only reason I am swapping now is for the EFI.  Pretty affordable alternative

Otherwise, I'd likely swap what you have for the same, mounting it correctly of course :)

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 07:41:48 AM »
Just a note: you always need to put the motor on TOP...as that is more of a safety device then anything else.  If the seals fail, you don't want gas getting down into the electric motor...BOOM!

I've seem them mounted in all kinds of odd ways, mostly not safe!  That red Willys I worked on.........it was in the TRUNK, on it's side bolted to the radius of the wheelwell above the fuel tank!!!   Ugh, all kinds of wrong.

Those blue pumps will fail for NO reason at all, not because it was mounted upside down.  I had two, had to constantly rotate them on the wagon for 1/2 a summer.  Got tired of dealing with them and replaced it with a Mallory 140 with a return system  That was decades ago.

What is the GPH of the mechanical pump?  That is more the issue then the pressure.  Most all the electrics are pretty high on pressure, thus you have to regulate them.
Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 09:51:22 AM »
Mallory 110GPH is a decent pump and quiet.  Any of the G-rotor pumps will make much less noise.  Holley Blue - made for cheap azz race cars.  Noisy, leaky, cheap.  Not recommended. 

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 11:35:59 AM »
I ran a mechanical on mine as well, only reason I am swapping now is for the EFI.  Pretty affordable alternative

Otherwise, I'd likely swap what you have for the same, mounting it correctly of course :)

EFI usually wants to see 25 PSI or more depending on the design of the EFI. Holley EFI is regulated to 25 PSI, where factory stuff is likely to be more like 60 PSI. You'll want a different pump depending on what you're using to 'shoot' the gas into the engine.

KS

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »

EFI usually wants to see 25 PSI or more depending on the design of the EFI. Holley EFI is regulated to 25 PSI, where factory stuff is likely to be more like 60 PSI. You'll want a different pump depending on what you're using to 'shoot' the gas into the engine.

KS

That's why i said I was swapping :)   He doesn't have EFI, so the mechanical would work fine....FYI mine needs to run high 50s, but even that is a tuning consideration on EFI depending opn injector size and duty cycle.  Some guys like high pressure for the atomization, but you can only go so far

Also, I haven't see a TBI kit run at 25 since the old days, would be sort of a sloppy big injector compared to modern kits. 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 01:28:49 PM »
Rory - I'm not going mechanical because the engine is in the truck and there is no eccentric on the end of the cam. So it is another electric for me.

Jared - the HP125 is more than twice the price of the Carter. I think I'll take my chances with a Carter for the price.

Still curious what one of these old dinosaurs can pull in terms of GPH.

Paul.