Author Topic: Rear main seal recommendations  (Read 937 times)

james

• View Profile
Rear main seal recommendations
« on: August 26, 2020, 08:25:17 AM »
The rear main seal blew this past weekend and need recommendation on which one to buy for a 427 FE. Thank You!

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Rear main seal recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 08:31:11 AM »
In the past I would have said "any name brand"

However, I bought a Mahle (which is a Victor) and the difference between it and a Felpro is night and day. 

- Nice soft side seals that do not need to be fit
- Proper nails, unlike Felpro with sharp side seal cutters (I use side seals, some don't)
- The seal itself looks higher quality without the pronounced casting ridge like a Felpro

Just put two together and they are sealed up tight.  Going to be my new go-to seal
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

james

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »
In the past I would have said "any name brand"

However, I bought a Mahle (which is a Victor) and the difference between it and a Felpro is night and day. 

- Nice soft side seals that do not need to be fit
- Proper nails, unlike Felpro with sharp side seal cutters (I use side seals, some don't)
- The seal itself looks higher quality without the pronounced casting ridge like a Felpro

Just put two together and they are sealed up tight.  Going to be my new go-to seal

Thanks, but could you be more specific, I see lots of them and am not sure which exact one you would use? Some are two pieces, one piece etc. I did not see the term "victor" either?

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 04:17:40 PM »
Mahle owns Victor Reinze. You can buy most of the part numbers under both a Mahle brand and Victor, but in most cases it's the same seal/gasket in different packaging.

VICTOR REINZ 191015401
Mahle Orginal JV707P

I was not aware Mahle made a one piece rear main for an FE? Those used to be fairly rare. I think the one piece ones I've used came from Roush.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 04:22:08 PM by RustyCrankshaft »