Author Topic: Aluminum Radiator  (Read 7361 times)

427John

• View Profile
Re: Aluminum Radiator
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2020, 12:08:10 AM »
I hope I didn't give anyone the impression that I condemn the use of flex fans,I tried to avoid that,I personally prefer to use fixed or clutch fans but am neutral about others preferences,I did purposefully try stress the need for good quality and periodic inspection,but that really applies to any engine driven fan.

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2020, 11:56:09 AM »
My bad...
Mike

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2021, 04:42:39 PM »
I don't think most of us are particularly fond of flex fans. Not only destroyed hoods and radiators but one fatality from a flying blade.
The cheap ones are worse.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2021, 10:38:03 AM »
Something I didn't see mentioned - you want to run an aluminum radiator "hot".  180 t-stat minimum, 195 better.  Aluminum likes a hotter working fluid which works really well with the big tubes and large surface area on a dual row.  I use a 195 for a street car, and a big 18" deep flute Flex-a-lite "flex fan".  They don't flex so much but move big air.  Salad shooter too, watch your fingers.  Moved later to the big GM OEM fans so not a worry now. 

Mine is a 31x19 from Summit, generic style (upper right/lower left).  I run distilled water and "water wetter" - been in service for 20 years.

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »
Again, you're looking at it from one facet. Many Mustang actually drive their cars in other than 1320 spurts. Most of us don't take our cars to the drag strip. If you have factory AC you start having more issues with clearances. Griffin radiators, while well made do not follow factory form and fit. If originality aren't a concern, and purpose dictate, sure go with a Griffin.
For many, It has to look factory. Yes, I love power combined with reliability. There are just few exterior changes in my other than plating and headers that are obvious from a glance.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2021, 06:03:04 PM »
In my car I originally had a modine 370. When I got a Griffin I asked them to duplicate a 370 but the tank on the drivers side wasnt the same so it wouldnt fit. It didnt bevel down on the bottom. I asked the guy to call the Griffin rep while I was there and he did and I asked him if he could duplicate it exactly and he said yes. Well he screwed it up one more time and when I said just give me my money back the guy said I will make sure it gets done properly and it did. It literally is a 370 in aluminum. So as far as originality if you were to paint it with radiator paint it would look original.

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2021, 08:36:09 PM »
The exact fit isn't the same as factory in looks. The neck is much taller. It's also 684.00 for 7-00042 FE unit. A bit over-priced.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2021, 10:40:56 AM »
Mustangs are the worst - the generic 19" tall units won't fit unless narrow enough to fit between the front rails.  With a proper shroud and fan a 24x19 dual core should cool a relatively tame street type engine.  But they really need to be wider and not as tall.  Fairlane/Falcon 66 up - 31x19 and open up the radiator support, decent fans or engine driven 18" with shroud will cool nearly everything. 

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2021, 06:30:30 PM »
The cross-flow would be much better.... But.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2021, 12:25:11 PM »
Yes, crossflow is way better, also better is moving the radiator cap to the suction side, away from the high temp pressure side.