Author Topic: Hooker Super Comp Header Install Question  (Read 4748 times)

67428GT500

• View Profile
Re: Hooker Super Comp Header Install Question
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 08:28:00 PM »
Is that your pictures of your install, Ross? If so, I want to see a picture of the engine hoist. That may be why I couldn't do it. It looks as if the boom is much longer than the one I have. 

-Keith

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2019, 11:13:38 PM »
Well, just to clear the air you absolutely can install  an FE with Hooker Headers and the trans. It takes a LOT of angle to get it in, and the ass off the car needs to be up in the air.  I wrapped the collectors with towels and covered the shock towers and core support with packing blankets.
Getting it in as one piece saved me at least three hours of hard work.
It didn't seem possible, but it is. I owe everyone who I called out an apology.

-Keith

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 01:19:43 AM »
Well, just to clear the air you absolutely can install  an FE with Hooker Headers and the trans. It takes a LOT of angle to get it in, and the ass off the car needs to be up in the air.  I wrapped the collectors with towels and covered the shock towers and core support with packing blankets.

-Keith

There's a lot of experience in this forum. Heck, the origins of the FE forums goes back nearly 20 years, and many of us have been around since it started. And it's not uncommon for members here to have been doing this stuff for 40, 50 or even 60+ years. A little humbleness goes a long way.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 01:32:45 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 10:00:37 AM »
Yes Ross is the one that told me it could be done and I have a 67. Not one scratch on the towers and it couldnt have taken to much longer than 20 minutes and that was being careful. And I dont have a lift plate just used a chain. Cant remember if i had my lowriser duel quad manifold on?.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 12:44:15 PM »
Well, many of us have been doing mechanical work and well for 30 plus years.  Sometimes it's experience with particular things that are helpful. I did try and install it with one header on it. It's all about angles and the hoist in use. The pictures Ross provided were very helpful. Much of my concern was with damaging a 15,000 paint job. 
I don't know everything and I attempt be helpful as well. I would assume that's what we're all here for. Common interest. Like I've stated on multiple occasions. This will likely die post those in my age group go.
The hostility on the other forum has made it a place to avoid.

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 12:51:14 PM »
Put the cross shaft mount on the engine then the frame side after you put the shaft in this is how i do it its a good time to make sure the bolts go in easy.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 05:01:14 PM »
When you say cross shaft I presume you're referencing the equalizer bar for the clutch?  I leave the block side of the pivot on the block. The  frame rail side is easy to get to when the power booster is out of the car.  It took me about 30 minutes.
It's TIGHT when it sits down in the saddles.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2019, 05:39:26 PM »
I put those headers on my 67 GTA fastback way back when I was 18... all 14 bolts in. I wish i'd known then it could have been done easier. I think I spent a couple days just bolting them up. When I went to the #6375 headers it seems so simple, I had those in within a half hour.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2019, 11:10:46 PM »
I did mine like you did, Ross. Chain and carb plates on both four barrels.   The issue was the hoist was short-armed in comparison with your unit.
I got it done and the only issue I has was that I needed a little more angle and I just didn't have the height.  We lifted it up over the core support. The Cobra deep sump pan didn't want to clear. 
I hope I never have to pull it out again!

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 01:45:46 AM »

-Keith

See an "idiot" can be of use now and them... lol
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 01:55:41 AM by 67xr7cat »