Author Topic: Magneto Question  (Read 759 times)

BigBlueOvalFan

• View Profile
Magneto Question
« on: September 04, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »
Anyone run a mag on their FE ?  I never have run one and know next to nothing about them  What are the Pro's, Con's.  Thinking about for hot street use on an SOHC and wondering what kind of issues I may create for myself.  All comments and suggestions welcome.

Also need some tips on restoration, what to do and what not to do.  It was sitting in an engine that was rebuilt many moons ago but never fired and the mag still has all the crayon marks on the screws but looks like hell on the outside. I want to make sure there are no issues.  Any contacts for people who rebuild them would be great as well.

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Magneto Question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 06:33:02 PM »
https://www.fordfe.com/ronco-magneto-t93551.html

Lots of old posts here but....having run magnetos in dragsters, it's a race-only piece in my mind. No spark, as noted, until the engine spins then a separate switch for starting. Hard to rig a tach as well unless made for a mag. Best mag has a tach drive but it looks like yours is sans that drive. At $125/hour that most quality shops charge, less parts, it does get pricey. Besides, today's electronic systems have none of the drawback.
Bob Maag

Mbowling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 08:21:04 PM »
I ran a magneto in my sprint cars for years.  I’ve also had one in my hot rod 34pu with a flathead, it’s been in 20 years and I’ve never had a bit of trouble with it Nor with the race car. 
Having said that they are probably not the best ignition out there
69 GT500 SCJ
69 merc spoiler II 428SCJ
65 Custom R code
34 ford pu. 286” flat tie
64 brand X corvette
66 mustang coupe 289
79 fiesta turbo

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 08:49:09 PM »