Author Topic: Best starter for 68' 390 Mustang with FPA headers?  (Read 9171 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Best starter for 68' 390 Mustang with FPA headers?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
Hey Jay do you have any proof of that?................................

Re: "I've had good luck with the Powermaster XS Torque starters, although they don't always engage all the way into the flywheel.  I like Robb Mc starters also, have two of them, but I've had to have them rebuilt a couple of times because the sprag has gone out.  Granted, though, this is on a 13:1 585" engine, so I'm pushing the envelope there."

I was expecting your reply after feeling your frustration at Drag Week with the R-MC's two years ago....  Seriously about: " the Powermaster XS Torque starters not always fully engaging" ------------- can you please elaborate on that please?.........................

I've got one ready to install.................maybe more than just grease it well and install it?

Uhhh...  Any proof of what?  Please elaborate, BB.

On the Powermaster starters, if you measure from the mounting flange to the end of the gear when it comes out, and the measure on the engine from the mounting flange to the farthest point on the flywheel, you will see that the end of the starter gear does not make it all the way to the end of the flywheel.  So only 2/3 to 3/4 of the flywheel teeth are engaged by the starter gear.  I have gone to the trouble on one starter of machining the flange so that the starter moves closer to the flywheel, and then the gear does engage all the way.  But I think this is probably only necessary on a very large, high compression engine.  For yours, you could probably just install it.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 10:17:54 AM »
Thanks Jay ,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's an as set up not going deep, not a random failure to go deep. Running a stick assures the starter's importance is not all that critical so I can rest this out.

When you run a stick you almost look forward to a starter failure,  it's one place you can truly leave all the slushbox guys sitting in the parking lot bump starting her with a big smile on your face.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:48:29 PM by Qikbbstang »

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 11:39:14 AM »
Anyone use the CVR starters ? Looks like a nice piece and at a buck cheaper than the Robb Mc I'm kinda leaning in that direction. I have always had good luck with the power masters that are built in the stock she'll and may stick with that since I have one still. Always a lot of mixed reviews on most all mini gear reduction type starters. Kinda like a crap shoot.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 02:31:29 PM »
Re: . Always a lot of mixed reviews on most all mini gear reduction type starters. Kinda like a crap shoot.

Don't really understand your mixed reviews on mini-starters................ reason being I've got a 351W stock in my LIGHTNING.  You learn stuff -- the stock factory FORD starter on the FoMoCo 351W LIGHTNING is a Motorcraft mini-starter...I'd think across the board Ford was using mini's in the 90s and up  -- that says to me reliability

Here's the crazy part ---- it's the same starter as used on the 2.3 Ltr I-4 motor that's been a junior stock favorite for decades.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 06:33:09 PM »
The mixed reviews I mentioned are only mine and speaking of my own experience.  Have had far more troubles with mini type gear reduction starters,(everything from your basic auto parts replacement to a $350 titan) than I have with a good quality (as Kevin said) stock type shell direct drive starters. Of course I'm talking 12to1 - 14to1 compression ratio range race engines. I will say I have been using locked out timing/crank trigger and use a start retard ,or back in the day spin the engine then flip the ignition .
Again, just my experience.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.