Author Topic: Blue thunder heads  (Read 30598 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Blue thunder heads
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2016, 01:40:24 PM »
I think you would really have to get small in diameter with the rocker shafts in order to get to 1.75:1, or else raise the cam and rocker bosses like Thor suggested.  And then you'd have issues with rocker arm geometry...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

482supersnake

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2016, 11:55:41 PM »
Hey that is kinda cool Barry. I sure did not know that. I have only known 2 (other) people with that name in my lifetime as well. One was in Norway where I was born, and the other I met in a remote fly in hunting camp, in Alaska, where I lived for 15 years. I have heard it is hard to even be able to talk with Art, he doesn't want to talk with customers, prefers them to go through dealers.

I always heard Thor was the Norse god of thunder. I have a hammer, but don't know how to use it...

Here is another picture, the next one after this will be a dead give-away...

http://www.rolandracing.com/id47.html

What do I win? ;D

How close are the ports Thor?

mummert

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2016, 11:44:02 PM »
 I have played with SOHC ATV engines that have rocker ratio issues like the cammer.  In the end the best fix to get higher ratio is to move the valves farther away from the cam centerline and add arm length to the rocker.  Once your at this level, the bore is much bigger than Oem and has room for it.  Adding rocker arm length also reduces the swiping effect across the stem when your trying to achieve high lift.  Last thing  is making room for bigger intake valve and not having clip clearance issues that older hemi designs usually run into, a 2.4" intake would be a nice thing.  I would do it on the intakes at first, that the bang for the buck. Once its refined you could work on shorter duration higher lift exhaust cams and broaden up the mid range.

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2016, 09:14:07 PM »
Hey that is kinda cool Barry. I sure did not know that. I have only known 2 (other) people with that name in my lifetime as well. One was in Norway where I was born, and the other I met in a remote fly in hunting camp, in Alaska, where I lived for 15 years. I have heard it is hard to even be able to talk with Art, he doesn't want to talk with customers, prefers them to go through dealers.

I always heard Thor was the Norse god of thunder. I have a hammer, but don't know how to use it...

Here is another picture, the next one after this will be a dead give-away...

http://www.rolandracing.com/id47.html

What do I win? ;D

How close are the ports Thor?

Ding Ding Ding... we have a winner! I missed this post, but you are correct, it is a Roland Racing Pontiac manifold for his canted valve heads. I'll buy you luch... just come to my town LOL!

He has a tunnel ram and also a "low" rise single Dominator manifold, so 3 diff. available. The ports line up much better side to side versus a 351C, but the runner entry is higher. It is higher than my high riser heads, I can make it work, bit think it would be too much work for a medium riser. A guy could still get it to work on a MR, just cut off the flange and shorten the runners a bit, weld on a new flange and match it to Jay's adapter. I had Jay mill almost all the flange off the adapter to the valve cover rail, and the manifold still sits high. I also had him mill the valve cover rail 3/8" higher, and had spacers made for the head to help. I did this on Jim's 496CI BT HR engine as well (3/8" raised VC rail on a custom FE Power adapter), with the sheetmetal intake and 2x4 Dominators that made 1087HP on the dyno@8200RPM.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

482supersnake

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »
Dang. I thought I would get my heads ported  ;)

There are some cool manifolds on that site. His prices seem reasonable also. To bad the ports aren't a little closer. I wonder how hard it would be to get the molds changed so they would fit on Jay's adapter?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2016, 08:40:54 AM »
It would probably be easier for me to do a custom adapter to fit that intake.  Since I CNC the ports anyway, I can move them wherever I want.  Might have to use the high riser casting instead of the medium riser, and also machining the adapter down somewhat, and maybe the intake also, could be required.  But I'll bet it could work.  Somebody buy one of those things and send it to me for a fit-up LOL!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC