Author Topic: Any Aluminum Sanding & Polishing Experts Here ?  (Read 2933 times)

427HISS

• View Profile
Any Aluminum Sanding & Polishing Experts Here ?
« on: November 04, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »
On my first 428 FE years ago, I sanded & polished most of my engine parts. All were like Edelbrock etc
I bought a industrial buffer and my tools and buffs came from Eastwood. The only part that sucked, was the oval air cleaner.
The further I sanded, the air bubbles got worse, so I stopped.

The new parts I have now, with the new engine, they do not look as good as a virgin product.
You can see a lot of bubbles, so I'm concerened about the sanding process and bubbles through out the part, like the air cleaner.
I not only like to have bling,...on my engine, but needing it as the stack injection and manifold is highly polished.

I would have asked this on my nw build thread, but this is about finding a polishing expert here, and asking for help as I don't know what to do ?

Regards,
Kevin

scott foxwell

Re: Any Aluminum Sanding & Polishing Experts Here ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 06:17:18 PM »
I've polished a lot of aluminum. The bottom line is, the polishing job is only going to be as good as the aluminum. Billet or even forged parts are great...really turn out nice without a ton of work but cast parts are very hit and miss.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 07:50:17 PM »
If you have gas bubbles in the aluminium the risk is big you sand more bubles up in daylight
But in my opinion it looks better if not everyting is polished i usualy glassbead some of the aluminiun
i like the contrast between polished and glassbeaded

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Tobbemek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:23:34 PM »
I agree with Scott it all comes down to what type of ALU you are working on, some stuff you think is ALU is Zinc castings. Like thermostat housings on some cars, they will never get shiny. I have some new machinery stuff "HYDRO BLASTER" i use to restore different parts in of soft type metal. You can check out my Facebook site under Torbjorn Tobbe Kristiansson to see how that turns out.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 10:19:05 PM »
The obvious question is: What exactly are you wanting to polish?  If you have stack injection, you must not need an oval air cleaner lid, so what else are  you wanting to polish?  I always start with a 100-120 grit, to get all the surface tension broken, and casting imperfections out, then move on to 180-220 grit, and work that until I am satisfied with contour, shape, angles, etc., and then 240-280 grit with high speed and polish, then buffing cones, cloth wheels, or buffing compound on cloth wheels on buffing stand.  Buffing compounds come in colors for the different grits, and they can be used to polish aluminum, chrome, stainless, or even gold.  Mothers aluminum compound for polishing will leave a high luster on aluminum if it has been polished with very fine buffing compound and cloth wheels.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 11:37:41 PM »
I'm a little hesitant to mention the manufacture's name, because of backlash. But, the engine is by Dove. Not his block though.
The water pump and timing cover are pitted, so I'm concerend that I again, will be chasing pits.

I like polished or chrome engines, so when I found the stacked injection that the manifold and hornes we already polished, I was excited, and still am.
I can't just have the injection polished and not the other engine parts.

Heo, I'll check into glassbeading. Do you have any photo's of your parts ?
I know it can make old parts look new. The Vapor Honing cleans parts as well, but not much in smoothing etc.

Like mentioned before, my air cleaner was all pited, so I had it ceramic coated, and although it did help cover the pits,it was better than before.
So I have thought of sanding the parts then ceramic coat these parts this time too?

How about having the parts powder coated, including the intake ?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:10:27 AM by 427HISS »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 06:19:53 AM »
Hiss in my tread testing in non FE related. the second photo from top
the intake is glassbeaded

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 11:17:09 AM »
That looks very nice ! Engine is also very nice, good job !

Will the glass producr take any pits out, or it won't not cut enough ?

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »
First you sandblast it to get it clean then you blast it with glassbeads
that kind of peen down and smooth out the rough structure after sandblasting
its very  easy to keep it clean just petroleumbased degreaser and hot water
the pits will still be there but the satin structure makes them less visible
When i had the intake at my friends Harley shop he had an Harley engine there
he had done 17 years ago same finish as as my intake just a tad darker

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 06:26:24 PM »
I spoke with a friend I've known for 15 years, not a close friendship, but he just started a small business in media blasting. He's changing over to glassbeedind and waiing for new parts for his cabinet. So, we'll see how that goes.

TomP

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 12:55:14 AM »
I found out the zinc thing on a set of MT valve covers. the ones that came polished are aluminum but the ones with the black crinkle finish are alloyed with zinc and no good for welding or polishing.
I suspect lots of die cast stuff may be like that.