Author Topic: Fuel cell return line  (Read 2258 times)

Jim Comet

• View Profile
Fuel cell return line
« on: October 21, 2016, 09:10:08 AM »
Hey guys, I am installing a fuel cell in my Comet and wondered where you are attaching the return line on yours. This is a Jegs 16 gallon with foam. I am thinking of putting it into one of the top fittings but would probably not want in splashing and aerating the fuel as it falls in. Maybe I could replace one of the top fittings with one that would let me put a tube on it that leads down to the floor of the fuel cell. Or do you just run the return into the unused lower fitting in the sump? What are you guys thoughts? I just don't want to aerate the fuel next to the pickup/supply fitting. Thanks, Jim

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel cell return line
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 09:30:58 AM »
I run mine into a fitting on the top front.  I don't see any aeration issue with pouring in fuel into a larger volume.  I wouldn't want to have it push it up from the bottom...no use for the backpressure in the line.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 10:55:45 AM »
I've had good luck with the Aeromotive steel sumps; those put the return line back into the bottom but have a baffle there, to separate the sump into an outlet side and an inlet side.  If your tank doesn't have that baffle, I'd put the return fuel back into the top as David suggests.  I've done that as well and never had any problems - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 12:09:31 PM »
My fuel cell has a sump from which to draw the methanol before it goes forward to the engine. The return goes to a fitting in the top of the cell. I don't believe there is any significant aeration---the fuel simply falls the short distance to the top of the foam---which acts as an anti-aeration baffle. If it were to be plumbed into the sump---the cell came with two fittings there, one of which I've capped---the back-pressure created by the 'head' would require a completely different pressure setting.

KS

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 12:30:45 PM »
I know any way I do it will work, but maybe aeration was not the correct term to use. I am thinking more about aromatics. I just cringe when I go to my friends and see all their gas cans open. I was just thinking that the splashing fuel coming in from the top fitting may release a lot of the fuels aromatic/vapors out the vent there by decreasing the grade of the fuel quicker. Pretty knit picky thing but since this project is taking forever I might as well do it the best I can. I appreciate your experience, perspectives and advice. Thanks, Jim