Author Topic: Muffler setup, what's good  (Read 2306 times)

ChiefDanGeorge

• View Profile
Muffler setup, what's good
« on: July 05, 2016, 11:25:51 AM »
for no droning in the car but a good gurgle out the back? I've got a '63 Colony Park with 390, soon to be swapped for stroker build, and want to get duals put on. I've got a setup of cast iron shorty headers I'm going to use, but there are so many muffler choices I thought I'd see what you guys are using.
What diameter pipes are you guys running 2.5", 3"?

chilly460

• View Profile
Re: Muffler setup, what's good
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 11:39:05 AM »
Hooker AeroChamber 2.5" on my 390, sound great, nice deep burble at idle, nice roar at WOT but not obnoxious at all.  Good rumble running down the road at light load.  I haven't personally heard anything better for a pure street car.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »
I always had good luck with Flowtech Afterburners - nice heavy construction, decent sound.  When I cared about a full exhaust, that's what I used.  Now that I'm older about to turn 60, I prefer 3" pipe and 15" Dynomax Bullets with a turn down.  I'll not be sneaking up on anyone.  :)

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 01:30:19 PM »
On my 330/390 in a '63 Effie ICB I used long iron manifolds, custom 3" pipes including an 'X' and a pair of Bassani mufflers. Including the nipples on the ends, the mufflers were a full three feet long. I put them just in front of the rear pan with about 6" stubs to get the pipes beyond the pan. EXCELLENT sound with nothing annoying anywhere in the RPM range.

KS

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 02:59:31 PM »
I still like a pair of $30 thrush mufflers mounted in the stock location at the rear bumper. vintage car with a vintage sound. you instantly know it's a FE.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner