Author Topic: Oil pressure indicating an issue, or is insignificant?  (Read 1552 times)

ericwevans

• View Profile
Oil pressure indicating an issue, or is insignificant?
« on: September 18, 2017, 08:43:28 PM »
So to start off, be aware that this is a well seasoned short block that has seen many miles. I replaced the oil pump this weekend to either band-aid an issue, or fix a bad oil pump (I was assuming the former). After replacing the pump I now have good pressure all the time (as measured by an AutoMeter Sport-Comp mech gauge).

I noticed an odd fluctuation today. If I am cruising at 2500 RPM or so she'll be running about 60 psi oil pressure. If I accelerate even just a little the pressure will drop 2-3 psi. As soon as you let up it will jump back up.

My only thought is the crank moving in the bearings and opening up the clearance, but I've never had more than a factory gauge so not used to having this level of accuracy and so I thought this may also just be insignificant.
Eric Evans

1965 F-100, 352 FE, Tremec 3550
1960 Falcon, 306 SBF

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: Oil pressure indicating an issue, or is insignificant?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:38:37 PM »
Eric -

I think you called it.  The main oil feeds are on the top, so the added combustion pressure is most likely settling the crank down a bit on acceleration.

The bearings are a most likely worn pretty well, but I wouldn't sweat it.  Pressure's only dropping about 5 percent.  It sounds like a pretty stock engine, so I'd just drive it!

When you start seeing near zero oil pressure at hot idle, that's when it's time for a rebuild.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

ericwevans

• View Profile
Re: Oil pressure indicating an issue, or is insignificant?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:30:45 AM »
Thanks Bill, that confirms what I'm thinking. I'm building another FE for her right now but it is going slower than I'd like so trying to hold this one together until I finish it as my truck is my daily.
Eric Evans

1965 F-100, 352 FE, Tremec 3550
1960 Falcon, 306 SBF