Author Topic: 511ci FE w/ FE Power Cylinder Heads  (Read 4817 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: 511ci FE w/ FE Power Cylinder Heads
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2023, 02:51:38 PM »
I think you’ll just have to mock it up and see what it’s like for you, depending on how much port work you’ve done to the intake adapter.  I think on mine, another .030” on one side would hit. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2023, 06:40:02 PM »
Hey Brent, nice job on the build. Sorry to hear the customer has ghosted you. Hopfuly he will be in touch with you soon.
Was wondering if it looked like there would be any possibility to run a 1/2" pushrod on the intake side as well with some doable modifications ? I'll be running some monster spring pressure's and had hoped to be able to use 1/2" dbl tapered across the board.  Haven't made it that far with mock up yet, Haven't even had the engine unwrapped in a month or so due to my work schedule as of late but will be back on it soon as I got some off time built up for the holidays.

Keith, I think a 1/2" intake pushrod with your intake adapter will be pretty tight.  I may have a solution though.  One of the things I discovered, with the help of one of my customers, is that when running a hydraulic roller lifter there was not enough pushrod clearance on the intake side.  This is because the pushrod seat in the hydraulic roller lifters is about half an inch higher than the pushrod seat on a solid roller or flat tappet lifter.  This put a little more angle on the intake pushrod, and caused an interference issue.

As a result of this I've designed a different port configuration on the intake adapter for hydraulic roller applications.  The ports feature a small bump in the interior where the intake pushrod goes by, with a correspondingly deeper cut outside of the port for more pushrod clearance. 

There's no reason that you couldn't use one of these intake adapters, which would provide additional clearance for 1/2" pushrods.  The only downside is that the bumps on the interior of the ports reduce the port cross section in that area.  Of course you would rather not have that, but its not a big difference from the standard intake adapters and you may want to consider it a tradeoff, depending on how important you think the larger diameter pushrod is.

Hope that helps - Jay
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 06:42:12 PM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2023, 10:15:47 PM »
Just an observation.
Why on earth would anyone need a 1/2" diameter pushrod with a hydro roller cam?

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2023, 10:29:22 PM »
Thanks for the info Jay. Unfortunately I have already put a good bit of work into the adapter I have, matching the intake side and cylinder head side up nicely so I'm probably gonna go with what I got. I'll get it mocked up this weekend and see what I have. Both trend and manton offer neck down (7/16×1/2) push rods so that could be an option. 
Nothing to it but to do it. Thanks for the input guys.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2023, 05:26:40 AM »
Just an observation.
Why on earth would anyone need a 1/2" diameter pushrod with a hydro roller cam?

Not sure who you're talking to, but my engine is a solid roller.   

If you were talking to Jay, he didn't say a hydraulic roller needed a 1/2" pushrod, he's saying that he's making intake adapters for hydraulic roller engines because the pushrod angle is different on hydraulic roller lifters and it may help Keith out if he's having trouble fitting a 1/2" pushrod in his solid roller engine.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2023, 10:44:31 AM »
Not sure who you're talking to, but my engine is a solid roller.   

If you were talking to Jay, he didn't say a hydraulic roller needed a 1/2" pushrod, he's saying that he's making intake adapters for hydraulic roller engines because the pushrod angle is different on hydraulic roller lifters and it may help Keith out if he's having trouble fitting a 1/2" pushrod in his solid roller engine.

I certainly wasn't referencing your build - very nice build by the way.
Jays post mentioned more clearance for big push rods when running hydro rollers with his high port heads and manifold adapter. I had no idea people would use these highly capable and high flowing heads with a hydro roller. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 11:21:43 AM by 1968galaxie »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2023, 11:39:36 AM »
I’ve spec’d several hydraulic rollers for Jays customers with these heads.  Even at .600-.650” lift, the heads do really well.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 11:41:12 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2023, 02:43:18 PM »
I assume the hydro roller customers with Jay's heads are using titanium valves.
Love to see more of these builds (with Jay's heads)
Jay's dyno testing was very cool. Like to see others as well.
Are you dynoing the 511 with the FE Power heads?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2023, 03:18:02 PM »
I assume the hydro roller customers with Jay's heads are using titanium valves.
Love to see more of these builds (with Jay's heads)
Jay's dyno testing was very cool. Like to see others as well.
Are you dynoing the 511 with the FE Power heads?

Stainless valves. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

philminotti

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2023, 04:12:10 PM »
I'm one of the deviants doing a build with Jay's heads and a hydraulic roller, and I agree that it perhaps doesn't make a ton of sense from almost any perspective.  Except for coolness factor.  Honestly though, the motor I built back in 2003 has e-brock heads that were ported to within an inch of their lives by an outfit that doesn't post here...couple that godawful port velocity with a lousy cam choice, and you get a lazy, frustrating engine.  So Jay's heads, and especially his cross-ram intake gave me a great excuse for a do-over. 

I've documented the entire build in pictures which I will post once I have the upper intake.  Jay did revise the lower intake to accommodate the slight but significant intake pushrod angle difference secondary to the higher pushrod cup of hydraulic rollers.  As always, Jay has been incredibly meticulous and responsive in resolving an issue that is unlikely to make up a large portion of his business. 

And it fits perfectly.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2023, 04:15:39 PM »
I'm one of the deviants doing a build with Jay's heads and a hydraulic roller, and I agree that it perhaps doesn't make a ton of sense from almost any perspective.  Except for coolness factor.  Honestly though, the motor I built back in 2003 has e-brock heads that were ported to within an inch of their lives by an outfit that doesn't post here...couple that godawful port velocity with a lousy cam choice, and you get a lazy, frustrating engine.  So Jay's heads, and especially his cross-ram intake gave me a great excuse for a do-over. 

I've documented the entire build in pictures which I will post once I have the upper intake.  Jay did revise the lower intake to accommodate the slight but significant intake pushrod angle difference secondary to the higher pushrod cup of hydraulic rollers.  As always, Jay has been incredibly meticulous and responsive in resolving an issue that is unlikely to make up a large portion of his business. 

And it fits perfectly.

It actually makes a lot of sense.   A head that flows ~370 cfm at just .600" lift makes for a great street head.  Not only do you get performance, but you get to do it with a very mild camshaft.  Takes less duration and less fuss.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2023, 05:27:03 PM »
You have actually hit on one of the reasons why I did these heads.  I wanted to be able to build a 600+HP 390 stroker engine with a very mild cam.  I've got one here that I just haven't put together yet, but when I get a chance to do it I plan to start with a fairly strong cam, and then back the cam down in steps to see just how small I can go and still make 600 HP.  Should be fun, and hopefully eye opening...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2023, 04:10:56 PM »
You can put me in the deviant class also. Deviant with a purpose as Brent and Jay explained. My build is a ways off but looking forward to diving in.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO