Author Topic: Dyno sheet for Blair Patrick build with BBM block  (Read 11043 times)

BBMTech

Dyno sheet for Blair Patrick build with BBM block
« on: January 12, 2015, 12:32:44 PM »
All,

We have seen a few posts asking if anyone has built an engine yet with a BBM block. We have sold many of the blocks, and this is the first completed build that we have access to a dyno sheet to share with you. Of course there have been other builds completed prior to this one, both by us and others, but this is the first independent build using a BBM block that we have the dyno sheet for.

This is a customer build by Blair using the BBM cast iron block. The notes on the dyno sheet are from Blair giving some basic details on the build. He added that the cam was a .700" lift solid roller, that's all the specs we have here. Anyone wanting further info can contact Blair. We show this only to show that this high horsepower, high compression engine was completed using our block. We have another post going up now in the vendor classified section, drop in and check it out.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b495/BBMTech/image2015-01-09-080853-page-0_zps1cbe47fd.jpg
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 12:49:14 PM by BBMTech »

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Dyno sheet for Blair Patrick build with BBM block
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 01:47:19 PM »
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the block, but I wonder if Blair could provide some insight into the jumping around in horsepower numbers at the top of the pull. And maybe if Jay might want to speculate? I'll edit my question in that the numbers do correspond mathematically, so no funny business is implied, but just wondering from the standpoint of trying to learn from a dyno test, is it showing a valvetrain issue maybe? Something else?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:58:41 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

BBMTech

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 03:03:16 PM »
Not sure, Kevin. Any further information on the engine would have to come from Blair. Hopefully he'll have time to jump in and answer. I'm not certain how often he visits.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
If its one of Blair's "good" engines I doubt it was valvetrain at that RPM.  Maybe air/fuel, or a little detonation?  Something is going on at the top end, that's for sure...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 05:13:42 PM »
Yep.................on the edge of lean right there.  I tuned on the bleeds about all I could.  We use that cam/spring/race T&D set-up frequently, and it will sing to 8K no problemo, as far as valvetrain goes.  It was pretty much done there, but it did flatten the curve a little.  The dual plane manifold was starting to struggle on that big engine, by 67-6800.
Blair Patrick

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 05:24:46 PM »
Maybe cylinder to cylinder?
Do you check individual EGT or A/F?

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 08:00:01 PM »

Did not check individual cylinders on this engine, but we have good RacePac info from in-car data on the F manifold from our Stock Eliminator engines, so I already knew pretty much where to go with the carbs.  Both the single and the dual four HR intakes are actually VERY good performers.  I used the 1X4 on my '08 EMC junk with a 4150 flange carb, and it had extremely good distribution, both A/F and temp-wise.  The floors were not filled on this head/manifold, as I thought it would like the volume.  It had straight-on rockers, no offsets of the lifters or the valvetrain.  Surprised me, really.  It should be a nice combo with plenty of grunt without having to turn to the moon.
Blair Patrick

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 09:59:08 AM »
Nice! Still amazed 39 years (1976) later all these great and vastly improved parts are now available for the FE!
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 08:32:37 PM »
Holy smokes those are some killer numbers! That torque range looks brutal. It would have been nice to see the lower numbers down to about 4000 or so, but I'm guessing those numbers weren't real relevant to this engine application. I'm kind of rethinking my MR port choice for my next build.

Blair, since this is a new untested (for you) block are you going to tear it down to check bearings and other stuff just to see if anything odd is going on, or just keep an eye on the filter?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 07:54:20 AM »

The floors were not filled on this head/manifold, as I thought it would like the volume.  It had straight-on rockers, no offsets of the lifters or the valvetrain.  Surprised me, really. 

So this was with Ford high riser port heights?
I did not realize that the pro-port medium riser Edelbrock casting would accommodate that.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »
The floors were not filled on this head/manifold, as I thought it would like the volume.  It had straight-on rockers, no offsets of the lifters or the valvetrain.  Surprised me, really.  [/quote]

So this was with Ford high riser port heights?
I did not realize that the pro-port medium riser Edelbrock casting would accommodate that.
[/quote]

Yes, the port location was a match with a HR gasket.  I had to "help it".  We ran my Medium Riser "street port" program on it first, and then I turned it into a High Riser roof location on the Bridgeport and the grinding table.  Can't do it without T&D.  There would not be enough material for the rockers to bolt to.  Since the T&D is fastened to the headbolts, there is no problem with the roof being pretty thin.  Raising the roof and improving the entry angle was worth quite alot.  Strikingly similar to some of the Chevy LS stuff.  They were not the first to have tall, skinny ports!! LOL.
Blair Patrick

Faron

• Dist Recurve Service l TotalPerfEntofPa@aol.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 04:58:53 PM »
Ive Seen some of that Chili , Blair can Cook , although His Wife Susan is Better  8)

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 10:30:58 PM »
Ive Seen some of that Chili , Blair can Cook , although His Wife Susan is Better  8)

Yes she is!  That is partly why I am SO fat.  :)
Blair Patrick

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 10:34:38 PM »
that is some ridiculous power for a ford dual plane intake!i see a lot of 385 engines with p51 type kaase heads at 557 cubes at that power level,and the torque is crazy.
any chance we can get pictures of the heads and intake?how much do they cost for the heads?can the stock ford hi riser heads ever do that kind of power?

feadam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 09:33:06 PM »
Blair,
got a new BBM block and heads, going to put them together myself. Any tips on things I should look for or modifications that need to be done to these parts, or is it a pretty straight forward build with these parts.