Author Topic: Tires  (Read 13558 times)

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: Tires
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 06:05:23 AM »
I`ve been following this thread and trying to figure out what size tire I can fit under my 63 Galaxie. I want to run it at Beaver Springs  this April. Anyone have a recommendation? The car is a 427 4spd I put traction bars on it yrs ago and I`m about to swap out the diff for a Detroit locker. I measured the wheel house and best I come up with is 9". Everything I`ve looked at is around 9" but what concerns me is the aspect ratio. They all seem to be 9-10"and it looks like they may rub, I`m not going to campaign it hard just want to have some fun with it. Any suggestions?

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 06:47:25 AM »
With my 63 Galaxie, I fit 275/60/15 under the car with no problem on 8 inch steel wheels.
Seems like plenty of manufacturers make drag slicks in this size.

Rear end pictures here:
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/makin-progress/553305-2013-progress-my-63-5-galaxie.html

sumfoo1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 10:33:21 AM »
I wonder how much it would take to get a 29x10.5W under my '61

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 11:37:01 PM »
427stang,
   I got the yoke changed on the differential. I was flabbergasted by how much torque it took to take off the nut. And, like you said, there wasn't any way in hell I was going to get it off with a impact wrench, much less having it still in the car. I finally got it off with a extension on my breaker bar and then I thought I'd break something first. The yoke more or less fell off without any trouble. I called Portland and questioned him about the torque I was going to use to put the nut back on. He said lean on it just like you did taking it off, so I did. When it was drawn up tight the bearing spun freely. When I got through leaning on it you could feel some resistance. I remember what you said about feeling the roller bearing and it's not like that at all. Put it back in and I'm ready to take the driveshaft over to Ft. Wayne and have the 1350 end put on it. I didn't replace the rubber O-ring on the pinion support, I looked at it real good and it looked fine. Thanks for helping me. Jim