Author Topic: evans coolant  (Read 4183 times)

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
evans coolant
« on: December 26, 2014, 11:12:18 AM »
i am a fan of the evans coolant as far as how it can save a motor.  it boils extremely hotter and doesnt allow hot spots to build on your cylinder walls,  hence causing pitting and leaking. as opposed to just regular antifreeze and if you blow a head gasket for example it will wash into the bearings but it will not hurt the bearings, as a water mix would.   my problem with it is that it just doesnt seem to flow as good as a water mix through the electic water pump.  i have meziere pump and it just doesnt flow as good.  should a guy try some other type of pump?

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: evans coolant
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 12:53:02 PM »
Evans coolant is a proprietary offering of propylene glycol. You can buy a less expensive version by going to a heating/cooling supply and getting the fluid that's used in 'warm-floor' heating systems. Evans is VERY proud of their offerings.

I don't know of any reason not to use an electric pump with it.

KS

fairlanegt427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 11:39:38 AM »
my problem with the evans is it just doesnt flow anywhere near as good through the radiator, as opposed to a mechanical pump. money wise we all have thoousands of dollars in these motors,  so for me spending 150 bucks for the coolant that saves the motor in case of a failure for me is super cheap insurance.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »
Evans recommends the use of a radiator with one-inch or larger tubes.

KS

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:33:36 PM »
Interesting since I'd venture a blown hose, a stuck t-stat, or a leaky heater core (if used) would far more likely to lose system coolant and toast an engine than a head gasket loss. 

Heck, I'd rather run either plain water like NHRA and NASCAR mandate or regular ethylene glycol and add a racer-like, red-warning bulbed mechanical temperature gauge and have at it. JMO!   
Bob Maag

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 10:15:32 AM »
I've been using Prestone LowTox mixed 50/50 with distilled water in a daily driver for a couple of years to test it out.  Works just like Ethylene Glycol, smell's a little different and its slightly more viscous.   It is propylene glycol which is not toxic but the additives to prevent corrosion are probably toxic. 

Some info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

Apparently propylene glycol can go bad more readily than ethylene glycol.

Its hard to find, but NAPA has Prestone LowTox for $13.49 a gallon at the moment.  Sometimes you have to order it.  With the rapidly falling crude price I am kinda waiting for the price of engine oil and other oil derived fluids to go down in price. 

I haven't tried the LowTox at full strength and I don't know if it accepted at dragstrips or other forms of racing like Evans. 

fairlanegt427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 07:21:17 PM »
 water boils at 212 as we all know. so when cylinder wall boils the water, the water bubbles  away from the cylinder wall just like it would in your pot on the stove.  hence causing a pit in the cylinder wall.  where the evans coolant with the right pressure cap doesnt boil away from the cylinder wall because it has a much  hotter boiling point as opposed to a water mix. 

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:22:41 PM »
But with the regular coolant mix at 50/50 the boiling point increases to approx. 220*
and then put a cap on the rad and you can easily get the point up to 260* with a light cap at 10 to 15 psi.
I kinda think the snake oil thing.
A good size rad and proper air flow will cure most cooling issues.
A blown head gasket will show up pretty quick and running any form of coolant through the bearings
will cause all kinds gremlins.
The original use of the thicker propylene glycol was for as was said building heating systems and it would not be as prone
to small pin hole leaks thus having to dump the very large volume system to fix pesky small leaks.
As always just my ramblings.