Poll

Which of the following intake manifold tops should I build for the intake adapter?

Single Plane Dominator Flanged Spider Intake
8 (22.2%)
2X4 Single Plane Intake Similar to a Tunnel Wedge
12 (33.3%)
2X4 Tunnel Ram, in Sheet Metal Intake Style
16 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Dedicated Upper Manifold for the Intake Adapter  (Read 19976 times)

babybolt

• View Profile
Re: Dedicated Upper Manifold for the Intake Adapter
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 11:30:25 AM »
If you made a tunnel wedge intake would it have the Dove style top plate format?  This plate is apparently an original Ford part, though apparently very rare.  Would any of these intakes still fit a Cleveland?  There would be a second market for the intakes in the Cleveland world.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2014, 01:30:40 PM »
What about 3-D printing?  Zytel?

You have CAD files and I assume you have the software to do more CAD files.

With a 3-D printer you can experiment more, with faster turnarounds. Change plenum and runner volumes and angles and taper pretty much at will.

Especially for parts away from direct contact with heat, like center sections of intakes.  I'd wonder how hot oil pans get and whether a Dailey-type pan with integrated plumbing could be printed for less than $10K.

The pricing on 3-D printing seems to be falling even as it becomes more capable.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »
My vote would be for a tunnel ram style , pro street and old school is coming back ..
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 02:19:13 PM »
What about 3-D printing? 

The pricing on 3-D printing seems to be falling even as it becomes more capable.

Way ahead of you on that one  ;)
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 08:10:53 AM »
If you made a tunnel wedge intake would it have the Dove style top plate format?  This plate is apparently an original Ford part, though apparently very rare.  Would any of these intakes still fit a Cleveland?  There would be a second market for the intakes in the Cleveland world.

I'd be looking at doing a tunnel wedge without the top plate.  Are you sure the tunnel wedge with the top plate is original Ford?  That's a new one on me; I thought that was a Dove thing.

None of these manifolds would fit a 351C engine, the port spacing would be too wide.  My vision for all this stuff is fairly low volume production, targeted at the high performance end of the FE world, so adding additional sales volume for 351C engines isn't all that important to me.  I just want to see us FE guys get the same opportunities for performance as everybody else...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2014, 11:40:28 AM »
Yes, the top plate design was original to Ford, although I've only put my hands on a Cammer intake with that configuration. It has a factory XE casting number on it, and a large open plenum under the plate. I think there may have been a TP version as well.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2014, 02:51:31 PM »
I just want to see us FE guys get the same opportunities for performance as everybody else...

Kudos to you for that line of thinking. The other guys have there stuff, so dedicated FE stuff is the way to go. Obviously you're not going to get rich on this stuff, so sticking to FEs makes the whole thing cooler, not to mention more practical for making power in the FE.

It may also be worth your time to discuss this with Blair, as he may have some really good ideas and comments on design.

Personally, I would rather see a tunnel wedge style made with modern design and concepts. It's a well known look (super cool, which everybody agrees on), makes good power for bigger engines, but really lacks in terms of modern enhancements. Of course it's a 45+ year old design, so that's to be expected. Original ones are REALLY expensive, so chopping one up for EFI and injectors makes a body cringe. Even aftermarket ones are expensive, so they still require some $$$ to purchase, then more $$$ to modify. Kevin had a good point about BBM and their plans to release one....although I'm guessing it's going to be designed more like the originals for appearance sake, so that may not be a hindrance for the performance oriented people.

Realistically, I'd guess the single spider would be more popular for the drag guys (not the kind that gather in bars either ::) ). So from a selling standpoint, I'd guess it might be a toss up.

But I have to say, from a modification for racing standpoint, I really like the idea of the removable top. Seems like it would be easier to cast that way, add very little to machining operations, not to mention being WAY more friendly for porting and modifying the plenum for specific purposes and racing. A top plate would be easy to make without further casting.
Just my .002 cents (adjusted for inflation :) )

edit: The only removable top plate intakes I've seen were the NASCAR designs. Pretty rare and very expensive.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:53:04 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe