Author Topic: problem with figuring out installed spring height  (Read 2136 times)

bigswede442

• View Profile
problem with figuring out installed spring height
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »
I posted a time ago about 482 tunnelport build in my 40 Ford coupe. After getting engine back in my car,I've had nothing but problems and now have pulled engine out and had in the hands of old mechanic and engine builder friend, who should of did it in the first place.Problem seem to be all valve train related. 1 broken Harland Sharpe rocker, broken rocker shafts ,3 broken valve springs as well as 4 bent push rods after very little running time. Now the guy who built it "from Washington state"I think totally messed up the valve train. Bought a new complete Harland Sharpe rocker assembly rockers and shafts and now need to figure out valve springs and push rod length. Cam is a custom ground Oregon cam roller mech. with .660 lift and am looking for corresponding valvesprings and push rods to go with this set up.old push rods code show them to be a old seal power unit with a length of 9.375 inches. and would like suggestions, but most importantly installed spring height measured at 1.820. all the spring that I Can find start at 1.900 and 2.000. the heads are Dove aluminum tunnelports and trying to figure out if my Manely valves are too short.the springs that were in the heads are supposed to be Iskys. Another thing I don't under stand is why the guy who orginally put it together put .060 shims in with the springs. We figure that we need springs with about 225 lb.closed and about 600 lbs open. What I'm trying to figure out is, are the Dove tunnelport head different than any other style of head when comes to installed height. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks Konrad from Alberta

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: problem with figuring out installed spring height
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:08:06 PM »
Most of the solid roller stuff we use will set up around 1.950 or so.
Many of the retainers and keepers will add to installed height - .100 or more.
You probably need to mock up a package to know where you really are.
On solid rollers we often use a Manley Nextec 224443-16 that gives around 235 seat and 610 open

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: problem with figuring out installed spring height
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 07:12:27 AM »
You can get some tool steel and titanium retainers that add .100" to the install height, as well as valve locks that add .050" to the install height.  Don't get carried away with adding install height though, as you can get into a situation where the retainer gets too close to the rocker arm body.

The amount of spring pressure you need will depend on how much duration your cam has and how heavy your valves are.

My advice would be to order or borrow a titanium/tool steel retainer with a standard set of locks, and also a set of +.050" locks, then check your install height, and mock everything up with some checking springs.  It sounds like you have a do-able setup if you can manipulate things a little bit. 

Post your results and we can help you pick a spring.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports