Author Topic: 427 8V Power Steering Bracket - Does It Exist?  (Read 4011 times)

emorrison96

• View Profile
427 8V Power Steering Bracket - Does It Exist?
« on: May 15, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »
Hello all - I'm trying to swap an FE into a car that was not originally equipped with one, but I want it to have a factory appearance.  After much thought, I've decided that I want power steering in this vehicle.  The Oreillyauto website shows a power steering V belt for a 65 Galaxie with a 427, but I can't seem to find a picture of what one would have looked like on the car to determine the correct 1965 brackets.  I would think this is a tough setup with the fuel filter canister , etc. located where it is.  Does anybody know if PS was an option on the 427 8V equipped cars and if so, what was the bracket part number(s)?  Thanks in advance!

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: 427 8V Power Steering Bracket - Does It Exist?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 11:51:09 AM »
Original mid-60s 427 cars were somewhat on the 'rough-'n'-ready side with no creature comforts except a radio. No power anything was available. When I picked-up my '64 Custom I was required to sign a rather poorly-mimeographed acknowledgment that I recognized the special purpose for the car and was aware of the limited warranty and so on. If I were to decide to go with power steering, I'd likely install one of the change kits that provide rack-and-pinion steering and be prepared to create a bracket to hold the pump in position. I DO think PS is a good idea.

KS

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:20:56 PM »
I would look for any FE powered '65 that had power steering and copy that, I am sure you can maneuver the fuel line to clear a pump if you get creative, and it will look stock to all but the very nit-picky.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

nhsohc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:43:38 PM »
When I was looking for a car to put the cammer into, I also was looking at how to hookup power steering in case the selected car came with it.  Happened upon an earlier (pre '66) car w/ a 352 that had a power steering pump that hung towards the drivers side low down off a single cast/nodular iron bracket that bolted with 2 bolts to the water pump.  The pump rotated on the mount to adjust the belt.  The reservoir (with internal filter) was mounted to the pump (quite small) but you could easily use a remote mount with a hose.  Still have it somewhere.  If the water pump has the two mount holes (tapped) you could use one of these.  Was a good factory solution to the pump mounting.

Ended up the selected car had no power anything.  Bitch to park.

emorrison96

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 03:34:38 PM »
OK thanks guys.  I guess I'll just look for a bracket that would have been used in 65 and make it work.  I've been toying with ditching the quad Weber setup and going with a dual quad EFI that would do away with the fuel filter, etc. anyway.  I also want to run hydraulic power brakes off the power steering as well.  If anybody has any part #'s to brackets that I should keep an eye out for let me know.

Thanks as always.  It's just as fun reading about other people's experiences with their FE as it is finding out info about your own. 

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 05:34:12 PM »
I have a 66 Engine from a Galaxie with P/S i can try to find the
part nr tomorrow. I'm not sure if the pump is still on the engine
so i have to look for the pump

It suddenly hit me where it was so i cleaned it up. but no P/N
strangely for a ford part.  The only thing i found was a J inside a
Romb or diamond or what i shall call it.I found a 64 bracket to
its similar but not exactly the same. Both are cast, mount on
water pump on drivers side use a spacer on the lower bolt that
have a slotted hole for adjustment. Plenty  of room for the filter
canister behind it 
I can get you pictures tomorrow cant find the phone now
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:10:56 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

emorrison96

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »
Thank you sir!  I've found a couple on eBay that state they are from 65-66 galaxies but they appear to be stamped pieces.  I'm very interested to see what you have.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 09:18:54 PM »
Hello all - I'm trying to swap an FE into a car that was not originally equipped with one, but I want it to have a factory appearance.  After much thought, I've decided that I want power steering in this vehicle.  The Oreillyauto website shows a power steering V belt for a 65 Galaxie with a 427, but I can't seem to find a picture of what one would have looked like on the car to determine the correct 1965 brackets.  I would think this is a tough setup with the fuel filter canister , etc. located where it is.  Does anybody know if PS was an option on the 427 8V equipped cars and if so, what was the bracket part number(s)?  Thanks in advance!

65-66 had this setup. Changed in 1967. The '67 427 comet fairlane was avail as an option

65-66 had these cast iron pieces that worked fine with the fuel canister. Have it on my '66 427 (clone)

I know of one 63-64 R Galaxie that had power steering. It had a remote reservoir.

I will see if I have any 65-66 P/S brackets left to sell.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:25:41 PM by TimeWarpF100 »

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 05:36:20 AM »
My 61 Starliner w/406 has ps. Has brackets and pump like nhsohc mentioned. I also have the fuel canister, fuel lines and coil mounted behind the ps pump. No problems with anything fitting.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 11:26:53 AM »

This is the 66 bracket and pump i have. It mounts to the two threaded holes in the waterpump.
The 64 bracket is similar but there is the upper hole slotted and the pump mounts lower than
this. I could not get the pics of 64 bracket to load

Click the pic and use the arrows and you see the other bracket
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:40:41 AM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

emorrison96

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »
Thanks for the pictures guys they're worth a thousand words.  All of the ones I've found on eBay being advertised as 65-66 are stamped pieces so I'll keep an eye out for a cast one.  Right know I'm using the correct single sheave water pump pulley for a 65 427, so if I convert to PS does the belt loop the water pump pulley too or only the crank pulley?  I'm using a stock type balancer for a 427 where the timing tab indexes on a mark on the pulley and not the balancer body.  This pulley is not removable; is there a secondary bolt on pulley for it?

As always thank you for your knowledge.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
On my PI engine there is the pulley on the damper and
three bolt holes to bolt a second cast pulley To the front of the damper

Pentroof

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 08:53:41 PM »
Three words: Electric Power Steering

http://www.jegs.com/i/EPAS-Performance/563/1003/10002/-1

The cheap option trending is a Saturn VUE column motor and an eBay controller
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=uKzCaEjvJeM

I'm researching electronic F150 racks for the Crown Vic front end in my '70 F100.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:40:16 PM by Pentroof »
Jim

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 09:31:35 PM »
I've got a complete PS setup on a spare '66 Galaxie 428 if your interested.

Bob

emorrison96

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 09:55:47 PM »
PM sent.