Author Topic: Cool 1950’s Ford Cleveland Foundry & Engine plant video and article.  (Read 1001 times)

thatdarncat

• View Profile
I was doing some reading and research on the Ford Cleveland Foundry and engine plants tonight, and came across this article written by a woman who’s father was a long time worker at the plant, and worked there herself for a short time. In the article is a cool 25 minute Ford promotional video of the then new Foundry and engine plant. They were making 6 cylinders at the time, and mention and show how they will be adding the new OHC Lincoln Y-Block in the near future. The video is really detailed on the casting process, starting right with mixing the sand, and nice views of the cores being made and assembled. We’ve seen some of the Rouge videos before, but this was the first Cleveland plant one I’ve seen. It’s amazing what it takes to cast and assemble thousands of engines a day. In just a few years after this was filmed the Cleveland Foundry would be casting FE blocks and parts, and I presume assembling them too. Be sure and read though Sally’s story, you’ll catch some pretty cool exotic Ford & FE trivia too. Here’s the link:

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/video/cc-vintage-video-ford-cleveland-foundry-engine-plant-1953-my-fathers-job-of-a-lifetime/
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

gt350hr

• View Profile
   Movies like that show the enormity of the engine plants. Those of us not familiar often think in terms of our local machine shop not in terms of thousands of identical engines being built at one time. There is a later movie showing 260s and FEs being built.
  Randy

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
That 6-cylinder line was still running when I did a stint there as a foreman.  It was 1989 and I was a new Ford engineering trainee.

I recognize those final assembly stations and I can still smell the place.  Let me tell you, the air in that foundry was NOT clean.  We had to cover our cars in the parking lot because the sulphuric acid in the dust would eat pits in the windshields  :o :o

Still a very cool experience! 
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

57 lima bean

"He's learning fast and has an eye on the future" I'd be so cutting edge 50 years ago.