Author Topic: Old JJ really came through for me today....  (Read 6769 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Old JJ really came through for me today....
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 07:09:52 AM »
I cut the oil filter apart last night and it was clean as a whistle.   The oil smelled a little gassy, which makes sense because I was watching the A/F drop to 10:1 when we were first loading it on the dyno with the 660's. 

I debated on changing the oil last night, but I think (unless anyone else has any brainstorming ideas) it's time to pull it down.  Nightmist wants the Molnar rods out of it and I think I'll put some of the other parts up for sale including the pistons, camshaft, etc. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 08:58:43 AM »
Nice work Brent blower zoomies and alcohol  ;D

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 09:37:56 AM »
That’s pretty cool Brent, I’m glad you stuck with it!
500+hp out of an all iron 350 cube motor is just awesome.

Keep it up, I wanna see if a little fine tuning of cam and Cr might get you to

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 09:54:21 AM »
Congratulations!  I am glad you finally found a combination you are happy with.  Like I said in an earlier post, I have never had as good power with 1850s as with the 4224s or larger carbs on a tunnel ram or tunnel wedge.  Joe-JDC

660's are good at one thing.... and they are REALLY good at it :P

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 03:18:55 PM »
Cool.

I usually see at least a dozen HP from the water pump.  When I see an internet pull without the belt spinning the pump I automatically subtract at least that much from the numbers.  In comparison, and alternator only takes one or two.  My dyno actually has an alternator hooked up in the back on a belt to keep the battery and any EFI stuff happy...

351crules

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2021, 05:57:09 PM »
do you have access to other 351c intakes.. be a neat comparison to the specific fe intakes

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2021, 01:19:07 PM »
So I'll probably end up changing the oil and keeping it together for a little while longer. 

I sent Jay's carbs back to him, so that means that I really need to get a set of my own here and on the dyno just to establish another baseline for future changes. 

Drew is building me a set of 660's of my very own, but I plan on mounting them sideways and using a traditional 351C tunnel ram Enderle linkage.  The way we rigged it the other day made it really hard to pull.  In addition, I had Drew put metering blocks on the rears of the carbs for some extra tunability. 

Here's a picture of our expanded metal throttle linkage from the other day:

Also, here's a dyno sheet from one of the pulls where we were able to pull it down to below 4000 rpm.  In my mind, it still had enough torque down there to be streetable, especially in a light car with a deep gear.  Sometimes we tend to forget that a 400-500 hp engine is still very lively.   This little engine at 3600 made more hp and a lot more torque than my 2002 4.6L Mustang and that car was pretty fun with a 4.10 gear and a 5-speed.

Next time I head to the dyno, I'll try to make note to get the oil temp hotter.  I definitely left a little horsepower on the table there, but it was a cool day and it was pretty hard to get any heat in the engine at all, plus I just didn't make as many back to back pulls which usually gets the oil temp up to 170-180°.  Even on the 512 hp pull, we were only at 140°.

When I take my own stuff down there, I just watch the water temp off the gauge off the cooling tank to save myself the time of putting a sender in the intake manifold.  That's why the water temp looks like it does.  In reality, it was about 140-150°.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 01:24:23 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2021, 06:36:45 AM »
Drew's got the new carbs in the oven, so I have some accessories coming to mount them. 

I mocked up a 750 Holley DP and I'm going to have trouble with the accelerator pump bits hitting the tunnel ram since I'm mounting them sideways.  Looks like I'm going to have to use some 1/2" shear plates to make everything clear, but with this cam, the shear plates are probably a good idea anyway. 

A Cleveland intake has (4) 5/16" bolts on the center holes.  Jay's early adapters only have two of those holes drilled and tapped, which caused a slight glitch in the plan, since the two center 5/16" holes on the driver's side is what the tunnel ram linkage post mounts to. 

I thought about how to do this and decided to just tap the existing hole to a 7/16-14 thread and then use a thread insert that will screw in and lock in.  I found one at McMaster that had the right length and center thread, so I have a pack of those coming. 

I'd really like to swap cams, but since I sold my 600's and returned Jay's 660's, I really need to establish another baseline with fresh carbs in order to see if the cam makes a difference.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2021, 08:33:11 AM »
Brent, I know it kinda goes against the theme of project JJ.

But a thought just popped in my head, just for kicks and giggles, how cool would it be to
Throw a set of Jays small bore heads on that thing and give it a few pulls.
You know, for science or something.....
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 08:46:49 AM by Joey120373 »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2021, 05:57:01 AM »
Well, this will be the last dyno session before disassembly.  Got a pair of modified/custom 660's from Drew and have them mounted sidesaddle with a pair of 1/2" shear plates and a pair of 1/2" open carb spacers.  An Enderle 351C linkage kit was added with a little modification of the intake adapter. 

Last time on the dyno, it made 512 hp @ 7000.  I'm really hoping that this combo will give me at least 10 more horsepower, but we'll see. 

After that test, I bought some Driven 5W-20 oil that I'll swap out.  It currently either has Brad Penn 30W or Brad Penn 20W-50 in it, I can't remember.  We'll see if a thinner viscosity will be worth a few ponies.

The plan after that is to do a complete tear down, get the block and heads back in the bake/tumble process, remachined, then reassembled with some different rods and pistons.   I'm contemplating a complete exterior renovation as well, changing the Ford Blue to satin black, with a Milodon pan, some chrome Milodon valve covers, etc. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

390rpm

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2021, 12:37:08 PM »
Haha, this would be a good time to try a crank scraper. Maybe it would show a small gain.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2021, 05:21:09 PM »
I have been curious about the bottom end. What type of main setup are you using for this high reving small displacement (relatively) engine?
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2021, 05:59:41 PM »
I have been curious about the bottom end. What type of main setup are you using for this high reving small displacement (relatively) engine?

ARP main studs.  Balanced crankshaft.  Coated bearings. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

lowriser

• View Profile
Send Old JJ to Bonneville in the AIR class
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2021, 09:42:58 AM »
AIR — American Iron Roadster

All of the rules that apply to the FR/GR class apply here, but the engine used must be from a production American car or pickup prior to 1973 with an iron block and cylinder head. Welding or brazing is only allowed on the block or head for the purpose of repair, so exotic port rerouting is out of the question. The only engine class in AIR is C, so maximum engine displacement is 373.99 cubic inches. Electronic fuel injection, computer controlled ignition, and data collection methods are all prohibited.

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2021, 11:07:41 AM »
AIR — American Iron Roadster

All of the rules that apply to the FR/GR class apply here, but the engine used must be from a production American car or pickup prior to 1973 with an iron block and cylinder head. Welding or brazing is only allowed on the block or head for the purpose of repair, so exotic port rerouting is out of the question. The only engine class in AIR is C, so maximum engine displacement is 373.99 cubic inches. Electronic fuel injection, computer controlled ignition, and data collection methods are all prohibited.

Poteet's 61 Starliner would be a great match.   8)