Author Topic: Experience with King rod bearings?  (Read 1927 times)

Pentroof

• View Profile
Experience with King rod bearings?
« on: January 06, 2019, 10:27:03 AM »
I have no experience with the brand and thinking about trying them.
Jim

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Experience with King rod bearings?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 10:38:46 AM »
I generally use FM/Speedpro, but got a set of +.001s Kings in here to hit some numbers.  I didn't end up using them, but they looked very very nice and the numbers were spot on

These were the narrowed HP series for a BBC journal, not the cheaper SI series though, which look to be a VERY good value, but I have never used them and their width seems to be right on the edge for room on a BBC/SCAT crank combo

BTW, if someone needs a set of BBC +.001s (meaning +.001 MORE clearance not less) let me know, I'll give a great deal on them.  This brain surgeon read it backwards and thought I was closing up clearances and when I measured, I realized the error of my ways.  These make the rod end .001 bigger, not .001 smaller. 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:31:16 AM »
They are an aviation bearing manufacturer mostly to my knowledge so they're probably okay for our old rusty junk.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 06:32:57 AM »
I use a little bit of everything, including Kings.  Good bearings.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 06:57:29 AM »
I've used a LOT of King bearings on stock-ish/mild performance builds just because there is a local shop here that has a pretty good inventory and their prices are good. So far I've had good luck with them. They are consistent in dimension. I've run them in a number of 500hp 460 based engines and one of them I recently to fix an oil pan issue and we decided to take a look around and at 60k miles they still looked new after some racing, a few truck pulls and I know he's been pulling a trailer with this thing.

May not be my first choice for a full race build, but I've had good luck with them. Whatever that's worth. I'm even using some for a Navion with an O435.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:10:11 AM »
As I said, I am a fan, but be sure to look at what you are buying.

King has a HUGE range of bearings, surface materials, backing, etc, as well as different widths and coatings.  Likely not as many choices for a standard FE journal, but when you hit the stroker stuff, the 21 dollar sets of the SI series are very different in material, width and behavior than the multiple other lines.  In fact, the SI sets would likely bind on the chamfer of a performance FE cranks as they are significantly wider in that application

That being said, side by side with even the FM performance stuff, Kings sure look pretty and measure nicely, just reiterating that the brand has many more options than most of the other manufacturers and they are significantly different from line to line
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 08:36:54 AM »
As Ross stated: King has been making Aircraft bearings for years. I don't like their lower line offerings. I am still using the Tri-metal Clevite.  They also have been right on the money size-wise.
I recently had an issue with cam bearings. I have never seen them look almost peeled where babbit had squeezed out. I also had to pry my cam out of the block.
Probably the only upside of a thin cylinder wall making it's appearance and anointing the Brad Penn oil, not once but twice. Pulling an intake and heads isn't a fun job, especially twice.
                                                                       -Keith
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:51:26 AM by 67428GT500 »

mike7570

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 02:15:37 PM »
BTW, if someone needs a set of BBC +.001s (meaning +.001 MORE clearance not less) let me know, I'll give a great deal on them.  This brain surgeon read it backwards and thought I was closing up clearances and when I measured, I realized the error of my ways.  These make the rod end .001 bigger, not .001 smaller.

Sent PM