Author Topic: rear tire fitment on a 67 comet  (Read 3430 times)

67merc

• View Profile
rear tire fitment on a 67 comet
« on: June 07, 2017, 07:45:56 PM »
So I installed new 15x8 torq thrust wheels with 4.5 backspace and 255 60 tires on the rear of my 67 comet today. I knew it was going to be a tight fit but they fit. The issue I have is that I have a lot more clearance on the passenger side compared to the drivers side. It appears to be a side to side issue. I can put my entire hand in between the tire and wheel lip on the passenger side.  The drivers side I can only get half of my fingers in between the tire and lip. Is there any adjustments that I can make? Or anyone have any ideas? Thanks Cody

manofmerc

• View Profile
Re: rear tire fitment on a 67 comet
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 05:58:26 AM »
Cody I feel your pain .On my 66 and 67 I have had the same issue as you except I was trying to fit slicks .Take a baseline measurement maybe from the leafspring to the brake backing plate .Compare the two loosen the u bolts for the rear end and try using a pry bar to center everything up .You cant really move your rear end much more than 1/8"-3/16".But maybe that will be enough .Somehow it seems regardless of how tight those u bolts are one tire is closer to the inner fender than the other .Both of my comets are this way .And as long as your tires aren't rubbing don't worry to much .Try fitting some 29.5"9" 15" on a 67 comet I grew some new muscles on that job .Good luck Doug

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 08:23:26 AM »
The axle housing is located on the leaf spring by a pin or bolt, that is in the middle of the leaf spring, and fits into a hole in the saddle that is welded to the axle housing on each side.  You could try to move the hole in that saddle.  Take out the driveshaft and remove the U-bolts, and pivot the axle housing up so you can see the hole.  Use a die grinder to make it oblong in the direction that you need to move the axle housing.  You could weld up the other side, or maybe fabricate a little spacer to go in there, so that the hole is moved on each side.  The leaf spring will index on the new hole, and the axle housing will sit in its new position.  It would be a lot of work, but it could be done that way...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 05:43:44 PM »
you guys are making me feel lucky,my 66 caliente has10 x 27 inch slicks on it,i have to use a bumper jack to get them on but i have almost room for a finger on both sides.about as equal as you could get it
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:04:27 PM »
Cody, forgive me for asking a basic question - Comets, Fairlanes and Cougars use a 2 piece rubber isolator that wraps around the leaf springs, and so those vehicles utilize a spring pad on the rear end housing that have a large locating hole that indexes on those rubber pads. The leaf springs still have a small locating pin. If you don't have those rubber pads, and just put the rearend directly on the leaf springs it could be off center quite a bit one way or the other. Are you missing the rubber isolating pads, or are the pads falling apart? Mustangs do not use the rubber pads - they have a smaller hole in the perches that sit directly on the springs. Not everyone realizes the rubber belongs on the other vehicles. Just a thought.

I'll edit my post to say, on anything "Performance" or "Race", or if you were installing a CalTracs system, you would want to remove those rubber isolator pads, but then a person needs to make the locating holes on a Comet/Fairlane or Cougar rearend housing smaller, or make a reducer bushing, so that the housing correctly locates on the small pin on the leaf springs.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 01:20:21 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

67merc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 04:51:54 PM »
I am fairly sure that I have the rubbers installed. Its been 12 years since I put the rear end in. I will have to check tomorrow.

67merc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:34:37 PM »
Well I looked today and the rubbers are in place around the springs.  I loosened the ubolts and attempted to move the rear end with no luck. After taking some measures there is a 1/2" difference between the two sides.  Looks like I will be putting smaller tires on this week.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 09:49:32 PM »
Check to make sure that the springs, hangers, and shackles aren't bent.

67merc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »
Springs and shackles look good I guess its just how its going to be.  I have a set of 235's I'll see how they fit. They will look better than the 195's that are on my car now. Thanks for your input everyone.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 09:14:55 AM »
Well I looked today and the rubbers are in place around the springs.  I loosened the ubolts and attempted to move the rear end with no luck. After taking some measures there is a 1/2" difference between the two sides.  Looks like I will be putting smaller tires on this week.

I'd have to look, but I think the Falcon has about the same, maybe slightly less.  It uses a custom 9" housing.  For a 28x10.5 tire, or the 275-60x15 DRs I had to roll the inside fender lips.  A 10.5 slick -Hoosier or Mickey - will just lightly rub the forward part of the spring while cruising the pits.  That's with a 15x8" wheel, 4.5" back space.  I'll have to look at the Mustang and see if there is any offset - Currie 9" housing but it has lots of room between the fender and tire, and a good inch to the spring - same wheel config as the Falcon.  The difference is that inch - Mustang leaf spring pads are 43" OC, Falcon/Fairlane (probably Comet too) are 44" OC.

TomP

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 01:08:52 AM »
They are usually offset like that. Shift the housing on the springs like Jay described. Get rid of the rubber wheelhop generators and replace the spring centerbolts.