Author Topic: Progression Distributors  (Read 3793 times)

FElony

Re: Progression Distributors
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2020, 08:02:21 PM »
Well, you said you don't change your tune. If it's safe enough to run hot and under load, then I would say it's leaving hp on the proverbial table in better conditions, especially in adv curve and total. No?

...  Again, I'm more of a don't worry, be happy kind of person.

OK, fair enough. Remind me when your next birthday is coming up so I can buy you a Bobby McFerrin t-shirt.  ;)

Evidently nobody else here cares about new products for the FE, either, so I guess I'll move on.  :P

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2020, 10:24:34 PM »
I think Jay may not agree with that  statement .

FElony

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2020, 11:13:38 PM »
I think Jay may not agree with that  statement .

The silence is deafening. And you can be sure Jay doesn't mind me moving on.

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 08:04:51 AM »
I am not sure how many FE enthusiasts are in love with the new cellphone technology  (bluetooth....)?

Bells and whistles and new apps certainly do not appeal to me in the least - but I am not a millennial or Gen Z.
Having an electronic distributor that I "tune" with my cell phone? really?

I still see "kids" these days at car shows or at drag races spending a hell of a lot of time screwing around with their laptops attached to
the engine management. I was under the impression that engine management would be a "set it and forget it" scenario. Perhaps the fun of adjusting things is still there?

Each to his own. Some like the latest in gadgetry -  without knowing how reliable the new tech will be.
Not sure any of my street cruising and drag race friends would be impressed by my cell phone distributor. I would surely get laughed at.

Perhaps I am a Luddite.

Cheers.

runthatjunk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2020, 08:18:58 AM »
Looks pretty cool to me, but way out of my price range.

The one video I watched it appeared the settings could be changed on the fly which is a must, otherwise wouldn't be interested.
1965 390 Galaxie 4 Speed
1966 428 Thunderbird

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 09:28:14 AM »
Modern day computer control is def not set and forget unless. Just like a carb and distributor if you make changes, add different cam, change amount of air the engine is receiving, change gears, etc.. the parameters will need to be adjusted in the computer data tables to optimize. Even a bone stock situation may be optimized. The manufactures, old tech or new, try to make autos fuel efficient and meat the current emission standards while trying to satisfy the buyer. Thus their configurations are in the safe zone.

I am not sure how many FE enthusiasts are in love with the new cellphone technology  (bluetooth....)?

Bells and whistles and new apps certainly do not appeal to me in the least - but I am not a millennial or Gen Z.
Having an electronic distributor that I "tune" with my cell phone? really?

I still see "kids" these days at car shows or at drag races spending a hell of a lot of time screwing around with their laptops attached to
the engine management. I was under the impression that engine management would be a "set it and forget it" scenario. Perhaps the fun of adjusting things is still there?

Each to his own. Some like the latest in gadgetry -  without knowing how reliable the new tech will be.
Not sure any of my street cruising and drag race friends would be impressed by my cell phone distributor. I would surely get laughed at.

Perhaps I am a Luddite.

Cheers.
Mike

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 10:14:23 AM »
That first distributor, with the GM HEI unit, I would absolutely avoid. I spent a lot of time repairing those pieces of s#!t in the 80s, replacing burnt thru dist. caps, bad modules, and dead coils . Then add the hideous HUGE distributor cap, which usually means you need a smaller diameter air cleaner to clear its ugliness, plus the fact that its right there, in plain sight, no way I could ever make a FE look so ugly! The only possible reason I could possibly imagine anybody putting such a monstrosity on a Ford is that the "one wire" hookup is about the limit of their mechanical skills. You certainly do not ever see these GM HEI distributors on any Fords at the dragstrip, at least on any Fords that perform well.                                                 The second distributor looks a lot like the Pertronix Flamethrower my boss has on the 427 FE in his ERA Cobra. It seems to work OK, but personally, I really like the Ford Duraspark distributor (looks original, if that is important to you), reasonably priced, and very reliable, either when used with a "blue" Duraspark box, or as in the case of my Fairmont and old 85 Mustang, with a MSD box. The MSD billet distributor seems to be pretty good too, which interestingly enough, uses the GM style mechanical advance setup (easy to access and adjust), but rather than use the GM ignition pickup design, MSD chose the Ford Duraspark design.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 01:52:08 PM »
This distributor isn't a bad thing.  I'm not saying that.  Again, once you have found your ideal tune, you aren't going to be fiddling with it again until you make some change that requires further tuning.

This.  Same with on board wide band A/F gauges.  For example, I used my Innovate tuner to set the carbs on the tunnel ram.  Then pulled it out.  Went to the track and did the final setting for best MPH.  Those carbs haven't been modified in 3 years.  The 650DP I run on the Falcon has been set the same jetting for 20 years, it'll run just fine on the 393 like it does on the 351 and does on the 302.  If you start changing things like cams, heads, etc - sure, you'll have adjustments.  If you're not swapping parts, once it's dialed in you are pretty much done.  I don't adjust from the 65F we ran at the TnT last Saturday to 140F ground temps in the summer.  No timing changes, no carb jetting, tire pressure changes - nothing. 

If you're going to spend $600 on a honking big distributor, spend a few more $$$ and go EFI with timing control and do all the tuning from a phone or the hand held tuner.

FElony

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 05:56:29 PM »
Well, it looks like the FE is a set-and-forget engine. Makes me wonder why everyone else actually adjusts their tune to conditions. Dinosaurs Rule!!

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2020, 06:25:56 PM »
Don't take it so hard.

FElony

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2020, 06:38:29 PM »
Don't take it so hard.

Because of you boring guyz, I lost my multi-cheezburgr contract from Progressive Distributors. You damn right I'm cryin'.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2020, 08:40:16 PM »
may be better for your cholesterol , live long and prosper . and keep posting your craziness .

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2020, 09:45:20 PM »
Well, you said you don't change your tune. If it's safe enough to run hot and under load, then I would say it's leaving hp on the proverbial table in better conditions, especially in adv curve and total. No?

I don't change my tune.  I'm not hiding anything.  I have no concern whatsoever that there's five horsepower I'm not getting from cold to hot weather.  Feel free to change the power loss to whatever you feel comfortable with.  Again, I'm more of a don't worry, be happy kind of person.
More generally I have been pondering the same idea. Namely what is the best "Every Man" tune that can deal with variable fuel quality, Carbon buildup with decent mileage etc.... even the level of vacuum for an engine that isn't brand new but on the verge of being tired. Assuming vacuum degrades with let's say rather severe wear. Basically it's the pure perfectionist setup vs a setup for the public at large. But then a 75 shot of NO2 can take care of any carbon built up.  8)

And for the record - I am dying to learn the progress on those FE Heads!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:52:08 PM by Gaugster »
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO