Author Topic: 69/70 mustang shock tower cut  (Read 4896 times)

babybolt

• View Profile
Re: 69/70 mustang shock tower cut
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 09:28:32 PM »
There used to be a bunch of rumors about the upper A-arms on a Boss 429, that they were shorter, the metal was thicker, the ball joint angle was changed, and that the shock mounting holes were moved outward.  But so far the only proven change was the back was cut out to clear the different shock tower.

I think the upper arm on the Boss 429 is also moved outward by 1/2", just like the lower.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 09:48:44 PM »
Here is the kit.
It's still available.
https://www.ebay.com/i/253902828166?chn=ps

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2019, 09:52:59 PM »
From information from Kevin the upper control arms are notched. It uses the standard lowers.  They also offer just the notched portion of the tower to weld into a standard shock tower. His phone number is in the add as well.
                                                                                -Keith

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 09:54:30 PM »
I'd heard same that the upper arm is shorter, but none to measure so don't know. Also was once told that the shock towers were from a '64 Fairlane or similar. Don't recall exactly as been a long time.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2019, 12:21:20 AM »
I posted the link as I found the contact information for the only manufacturer. He offers a Concours kit as well as weld-in components. None of the arms are shorter. The upper one is notched to clear the inset on the tower, as the bottom side of the tower remains in the stock location.  If the O/P is skilled he doesn't even have to change his entire tower.
                                                                         -Keith
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:24:11 AM by 67428GT500 »

70tp

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2019, 07:33:52 AM »
Thanks guys for coming up with the info on this, I also ran across an old post that Jay had shared of a boss car without a motor that also helped .  The car is a 70 Mach one with a tunnel port in it, has been this way since early 80’s, but have always wanted a boss nine.  I have been on the fence as to whether to do a new stroker short block or step up to a boss headed motor.  Cutting and welding skills are not a problem on this but was hoping as to not cut the entire suspension out.  It appears that a cut above the control arm bolts and move the tower back above that may allow it to fit.  I’m not too concerned about making it look concours perfect but not look like a hack job either. 

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2019, 11:02:23 AM »
I'd say go for it. Are a few different B9 heads out there now that can use on a stock block. Is still expensive, but it is a Boss 429 too!

As for trimming the towers, you can do a nice job. I'd look at some other shock towers like early Fairlane or 71-73 Mustang. May find can cut a section from on of them and graft it in come close to looking like the B9 stuff, but for a lot less than that  kit.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2019, 09:08:35 PM »
Some years ago, Brother Lon and I did a job on his '67 Mustang. The car had a TP in it, an installation we did when the car was less than a year old. At that time we used the upper end from one of the LeMans GT cars---got it from Triple E---and a short block from the local Dealer.

Some years later I got Jim Dove to make up a set of TP heads using his 'Type II' exhaust port design. The exhaust ports were raised, spread, and re-shaped. In order to not compromise the header design---this required custom headers---we decided to completely remove the shock towers, We wanted to have a minimum of 6 inches before any header primary made any sort of turn. We solved the shock tower question by using a plasma cutter to remove the entire tower sheet metal.

This made it obvious that the upper arm inner attachment points were also in the way. We sourced a set of shorter-length tubular upper arms from a 'Late Model' circle track supplier (they cost about $25-or-so apiece) and used coil-over shocks out in the wheel-well. We filled in the holes where the towers had been with stainless plate (for strength) properly braced, and mounted the upper ends of the shocks to fabricated pivot points. The inner attachment points for the upper arms were moved down and out, making use of the proper geometry developed by Shelby for the GT350 and 500 cars. Handling was much improved and significant weight taken off the front suspension.

In order to have completely unimpeded room for the headers, it was also necessary to re-do the steering, making use of a Borgeson universal instead of the factory rag joint.

The car is now in New Zealand.

KS

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2019, 07:14:06 AM »
Here is what they looked like on a Boss 9.

Jim

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 09:10:10 AM »
you can cut the stock towers no problem.its not that hard to do.i did that on my 68 mustang for a boss engine and it fit good with the crites gen 2 mounts and 69 mustang boss 429 headers.iused stock upper control arms and did the shelby 1 inch drop with neg wedge kit.send me a pm and i can send pictures of it.
dan.

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 09:12:41 AM »
The offerings above are exact. Shotgun mounts and all. 

70tp

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2019, 07:32:56 PM »
The official word on the boss transplant is that it can happen with just a shock tower cut and a few special pieces without using the full kit to convert it to boss car look alike .  Seems at this time there are two companies offering headers, mad dog and FPA.  Headman no longer offers any. Manual brake set up looks to be easy and clears valve cover.  Special thanks to hbstang for his input and wisdom on this undertaking.