Author Topic: Cylinder Head issue  (Read 989 times)

Bob H

• View Profile
Cylinder Head issue
« on: July 05, 2022, 01:48:59 PM »
I'm a "Newbie" so please forgive me if this has been discussed before ( probably a lot ). I have a motor that was rebuilt and it has the C7AE - A heads ... basically the old junk GT 14 bolt hole heads. The previous owner ( passed away ) purchased and installed the aftermarket CJ exhaust manifolds. Yes, they bolt on but I'm concerned with the big difference in exhaust port sizes. The manifolds have a much longer opening. My goal is to get the car back on the road and then worry about significant upgrades later on. Everything that I have read so far indicates that these heads are junk. Is there a serious safety issue if I run these heads with the CJ manifolds ? If so, does anyone make a set of headers that will bolt on to them without any major issues ? I am guessing that since this seems to be an issue that has been around for many years there has to be a work around. The car is a 66 Fairlane GT ( no power steering ). Or, as an alternative plan would it be worthwhile to purchase a new set of bare aftermarket heads (designed for these CJ manifolds ) and utilize all of the new stuff in the existing heads ? Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.                Bob

( Backstory ) ... The previous owner passed away with kidney failure. He had the motor redone and was working on brakes and electrical and simply wanted to get the car back on the road. The motor is basically a 390 bored with a 428 crank.... toploader with 3:25 gears but I already have an "N" case rear with new bearings and a posi unit. I will be obtaining a set of 3:50 gears at some point.
Bob Henry
66 Fairlane GT
Top Loader
390 ( 428 crank )

1968galaxie

• View Profile
Re: Cylinder Head issue
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 02:50:21 PM »
Are some factory heads better? Yes.
Are the small port C7AE-A heads junk? No.
"The 14 bolt C7AE-A heads came on 390GT, 428, and 428 PI in the 67 Shelby GT 500"
https://www.fordfe.com/c7ae-a-heads-what-they-where-used-on-t49640.html

If the heads have been rebuilt - with a good valve job - they will work very well.
For stock 390/428 built with mild camshafts etc.. there is nothing wrong with these.
Headers will certainly make some additional power.
I am not sure what your goals are?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 02:57:35 PM by 1968galaxie »

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 04:13:55 PM »
Those manifolds fit that way on any heads and it's not a problem at all. Those C7 heads are the standard ones for a 67 GT. Certainly there are better flowing ones but those are not terrible. Headers would pick up some power and so would aftermarket heads.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 07:02:39 PM »
I will just echo what's already been written:  There aren't any bad FE heads.  Some flow better than others, but none of them are really poor. 

CJ exhaust manifolds are a nice upgrade over the unibody (GT) manifolds.  They won't make as much power as headers, but if you're not trying to claw out every last bit of power from the engine, the iron CJ manifolds are nice because they don't rot out, they don't leak, they don't scrape on speed bumps, and you can reach all the mechanical points on the engine.

If you want headers, FPA makes a header that will properly fit the 14-bolt unibody heads that you have.

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 05:59:12 AM »
Bob,
See me in York. I can show you the FPA headers I have on my '66. I've had them on the car with the original 390/C6 then switched to Toploader and now the 427 with Tremec 5 speed and Quicktime bell housing. The FPA's seem to fit any combination I throw at it.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

Bob H

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 06:18:08 AM »
Thanks to all for the reassurance. As long as I can still utilize the new CJ exhaust manifolds without any serious issues due to the port mismatch then I'll stick with them .... FOR NOW.
Bob Henry
66 Fairlane GT
Top Loader
390 ( 428 crank )