Author Topic: 69 torino Liberty geared trans  (Read 2662 times)

preaction

• View Profile
69 torino Liberty geared trans
« on: September 05, 2018, 12:22:53 PM »
I came across a Vin numbered big in big out 9A vin stamped (Torino?) transmission set up with Liberty gears can anyone put a value to a trans like this ?

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: 69 torino Liberty geared trans
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »
Subscribing...

I might have something similar for sale soon....

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »
You probably are going to need to know first gear ratio to price it accurately , I assume it a wide ratio converted ? , do you have any pictures with the cover off ?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 05:01:58 PM »
I'd peruse racing sites like this one to get a range:

https://speedtalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=31
Bob Maag

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 07:46:19 PM »
I don't know if its wide or close I will get some more pics and the tag is there so that will tell what it was.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 09:11:37 AM »
The tag likely won't tell you much but what it "might" have been.   Put in first gear and count the output revolutions.  If 2 1/4 turns it's s close ratio, if 2 3/4 turns it's a wide ratio.    Seems I recall they also made a custom 2.90 gear set also??

I can't really give you what it is really worth?  I know getting them done is not cheap,  I saw one a couple years back for $1500 on the UMTR site.  Fresh Liberty face plated toploader, pretty sure it was a wide ratio box.
Larry

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 03:16:19 PM »
If you take the cover off show us a shot of the gear train and we can tell you if it's been Face Plated

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 02:55:22 PM »
Here's my experience with a similar crashbox, I ended up taking the gears out and converting it back to stock. I couldn't seem to get anyone who was interested in the trans as it was. Sold the gears separately and the trans as a stock unit. Like a lot of racing stuff it was pricey to build but seemingly wasn't worth much when I had it. I could have sold it for around $600 as it was I believe. Hope that helps.

Jack

TomP

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 08:09:25 PM »
Yep, the modifications are not going to add value for a resto and a racer isn't going to care what date code it is.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 10:19:07 AM »
True.  Being what it is, likely does not have much value to many.  Likely built a long time ago for a specific reason.   If no one has that need today, then it has little value.

Trying to convert it back?  Pricey(if you have to buy all four gears).  Though at what you can get for a good toploader these days, it might be worth it?  I haven't bought a toploader in 20 yrs, and back then they were $100 all day long.  Today it's $1000 for a paint can rebuild swap meet special.
Larry

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 01:19:12 PM »
Thanks for the replys as it turns out the trans is a mustang trans (69) and was last used in the 90's the owner used it in a street car for a short while then took it out as he said it didn't down shift well. Pics in about a week.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2018, 10:32:05 AM »
Ya, I can imagine if you are not adept at driving something like that you will just grind it to pieces(I've seen it and heard it).  It's not difficult, you just have to learn the techniques.  It's all about RPM and MPH and timing it.  I always tell people it is like driving a big truck(no synchros either).
Larry