Author Topic: Few head questions.  (Read 2353 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Few head questions.
« on: August 11, 2017, 09:58:14 AM »
Besides the ultra rare factory aluminum tunnel port heads, was there or is there any other manufacturer besides Dove that offers these heads ?

Are there any max effort cnc programs for either the Dove or Blue Thunder High Riser heads or would this be a custom job per each set ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
Re: Few head questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:12:26 PM »
I don't know of any Tunnel Port stuff other than Ford or Dove.

I have High Riser programs that will work in the castings you mentioned.  Max effort would require some welding or epoxy for my ports.  Intake manifolds also become a project if you go "max", because about 1/3 of a typical cylinder head is in the manifold......relocating the pushrods is a big deal.  I have a new MR Race port that is really good, and BBM has a small batch of new Tunnel Wedge intakes that have no intake pushrod tube.  This drastically lowers the cost of working the manifold to match my MR Race Pro Ports.  In terms of cost vs. results, the MR Race Pro Ports don't flow much less than the HR Race Pro Ports, and the manifold is much less expensive than a tunnel ram.
Blair Patrick

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:27:30 PM »
I know of at least one program that was intent on making tunnel port heads in aluminum.  I believe that they were destined for a GT40 program and some castings were poured.  I do not know if they ever got beyond the prototype stage.

I have/used to have a pretty decent program for the Blue Thunder high riser heads.  But castings for those have been very hard to come by for quite a while.  Only intakes that even came close for those were the Dove PIE manifolds, and they required a bunch of effort to get them to fit and work - and they are also very hard to find now.  Offset rockers, offset lifters, and relocated pushrod holes in the intake - definitely not for the timid.  But run well.

I agree that the current crop of medium riser castings can get you pretty close for a ton less effort - and money.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:47:33 PM »
For what its worth, if you use one of my medium riser or high riser intake adapters the pushrod hole location is no problem.  I can put them anywhere, at no extra charge.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »
thanks guys, .
 '''IF''' i where to use the high riser heads i would in fact use one of Jays adapters. In fact even staying with the MR heads i have id still use an 13002 adapter.  My question on that is how much trouble would it be to make one of the adapters for the high riser with straight out ports instead of the 351c ? Either way Id want to go with a fabricated or possibly a FE power billet 2X4 intake if they become available for the 13002. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »
Its no problem to make the adapters with straight out ports for the high riser, although what I would probably do is put medium riser ports in it, just raised so that the roof of the factory high riser port matches up to the roof of the medium riser port in the adapter.  You could then port as desired from there.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC