Author Topic: Brakes, and reducing rolling resistance...  (Read 5966 times)

plovett

Re: Brakes, and reducing rolling resistance...
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 04:39:22 PM »
What about front drum brakes with some of those fancy new brake shoes?  I realize it seems a step backward to go to drums, but they do have less drag.  You only have to stop once on a drag strip before letting the brakes cool down.  Just a thought.

FYI.  I'm a hypocrite because I converted my '67 Cougar from front drums to front discs.  I never tried the new brake shoes and/or larger drums, though.

paulie

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 08:30:27 PM »
What about front drum brakes with some of those fancy new brake shoes?  I realize it seems a step backward to go to drums, but they do have less drag.  You only have to stop once on a drag strip before letting the brakes cool down.  Just a thought.
paulie

I actually have some old magazine articles that mention racers that used drum fronts for that very reason. Since my car will have some street miles on it, I'd prefer the better performance of discs.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

plovett

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »
Hell man,  I didn't actually want you to DO it.   I remember stopping my first car, a '69 Cougar, many times from over 120 mph.  I remember the brakes fading and I ended up rolling into a red light at an intersection with my foot to the floor, and my right leg shaking with fear.  That's after steering back and forth to try to keep the malicious beast between the curbs.  Many times.....

Front drums suck dead rhino butt.  I just thought you wanted less drag.   :)

paulie
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:51:34 PM by plovett »

TomP

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 12:06:10 AM »
My Fairlane is scary in the shutdown with stock 10" drums at 135mph. A 330mph fuel dragster only needs half the stopping distance I do.

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 12:52:48 AM »
Today you can get drum brake shoes that absolutely will not fade. They are well worth the money.
I have gotten them hot enough to boil DOT 5 fluid, melt the seals and temper the springs, but was able to reuse the shoes. (Parking brake left on for about 50 miles...)
https://www.porterfield-brakes.com

George vega

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 05:31:26 PM »
I use to have the Granada discs up front and drums in the rear. Never had problems. I switched to aero
space front and rear discs with a manual proportioning valve. It stops ok but need to center the rotors a little more to reduce drag.
68 Mustang Cobra Jet tribute Race Car