Author Topic: New carpet for my 77 F100  (Read 2392 times)

57yblock

• View Profile
New carpet for my 77 F100
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:30:27 PM »
I just bought a new carpet for my 77 F100 short box and needless to say it came folded up in a box. Any ideas how to get the fold creases out of this carpet. I was thinking about using a hair dryer on the back side and a friend at our car club mentioned getting it wet on the folds and leaving something on them over night. Just looking for something that might work. These came from LMC truck if that makes any difference. :-\

Heo

• View Profile
Re: New carpet for my 77 F100
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:10:59 AM »
I usualy just leave them unfolded for a couple
of days and the folds are gone

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 09:45:31 AM »
Agree with Heo; let them sit open for a day or two then install.  One they're installed the heat inside the vehicle and usage will cause them to relax and conform to the cab floorboards. Assume you're installing new underlayment too?  That's a good looking year truck.  Would love to see pics!

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 04:13:09 PM »
If deferring the install until the weather warms up is an option, then lay the unfolded carpet outside in the sun for a couple of hours before putting it in the vehicle.  FWIW, I waited to install a new ACC carpet -- delivered in Feb 14 -- in the Cyclone until the first really hot day late last spring (we live in southern VA, so by mid-May there are days like that).  It greatly eases the install; makes the carpet a cinch to spread out and the folds and creases disappear in no time.

Tip: DO NOT cut the carpet to fit sill plates, punch seat belt bolt holes, etc., until such time as it has fully settled into and conforms with the shape of the floor pan, with particular attention to the trans tunnel, corners, miscellaneous nooks and crannies, and so on (don't ask how I learned this lesson  >:( ) .  This can be speeded up by placing weight on top of the freshly-installed carpet and leaving it for a couple of days; I used a bunch of 5- and 10-lb dumbells I had lying around but anything heavy and flat will work.

That said, it's difficult to be patient when it comes to recently-delivered new parts, and especially things like carpet that deliver a more-or-less instantaneous visual improvement.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:40:46 PM by mlcraven »
Michael

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 06:43:54 PM »
If you have some stuborn creases you can steam them out
with a upholstry steamcleaner.
Smal sandbags works fine to wheight the carpet down on
the floor till it conforms with the shape of the floor

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it