Author Topic: FPA HEADERS  (Read 863 times)

Dubs1

• View Profile
FPA HEADERS
« on: July 12, 2022, 05:50:39 PM »
I Am asking about what to expect  on any install issues in 68 mustang 390 FB.     Clutch clearance?  steering box  clearance ?  bolt accessibility?  What gives?

Dubs  in Denver

machyoung

• View Profile
Re: FPA HEADERS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 07:35:33 PM »
Diligence and perseverance...

Z-bar and ear at block where trans attaches had to be "slightly clearanced", most (not all) bolts will go in to the head, steering box no issue, ground clearance fantastic. All things considered, to me, they are the best thing going. I just bought my 3rd set so I'm officially destitute.

I like to say that if they were any more difficult to install, it would be impossible...

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 11:41:00 PM »
1968 Mustang,FE Ron Morris motor mounts TKO 5 speed with Old (now) Quick Time bell housing.

I was Autocrossing my Mustang and the Hooker 6114 where taking a beating being only 2 inch off the ground.
I swapped to FPA’s.
Yes the grinder came out to clearance the block. My Idler arm bracket no longer has nuts holding it on,thread inserts and safety wired bolts.
15 bolts hold the headers on,one on each side not installed.
I installed them on my back.
Tightening the bolts was a ……..well you know.
They go right in though.

Performance.
The way I used the car the loss of mid range was noticeable compared to the long tube headers.
I Autocrossed in 2nd gear 1500-6000rpm,maybe a bit more but I only hit my 6500 rpm Rev limiter once and it was with the long tubes. With the long tubes I got noticeable wheel spin ,the FPA’s are much softer…
Jays Dyno test started at 2500 and 3000rpm,I ran lower.

But they don’t drag!
They are still on the car.
Lance H

GA445

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 09:36:22 AM »
Just installed a set of FPA on my 66 Fairlane,390 Edelbrock Alm heads, power steering, and 4-speed, pretty straightforward install also Inglese 8-stack Fi. Picked up some bottom end. Dealing with Stan was a pleasure, very responsive