Author Topic: Height of the HR rocker shafts question  (Read 2121 times)

FERoadster

• View Profile
Height of the HR rocker shafts question
« on: November 25, 2018, 08:56:47 PM »
I posted on the FE Forum a question and only Dan (32Bantam) provided an answer but my measurements don't match.

I've got a set of Oregon Cams plates, stands and shafts that seem to be for a High Riser but are really short.
The old FE Forum wasn't much help (except Dan)  so I'm asking here.
What is the centerline measurement of the shaft above the head mounting boss?  Mine seem to be 1.25" also (Correction from my original comment) Dan said 1.25"  so were the Oregon cam stands milled to much by a prior owner? These are used and I bought them from a prior Ford Racer in Sac. Cal. who had a bunch of HR parts.
Second question If they were milled too far could another 1/4 inch spacer be installed similar to a rocker stand shim?
I've got a buyer but want to make sure I'm selling something he can use on his Dove HR heads.

Richard >>> FERoadster
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:21:01 PM by FERoadster »

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
Re: Heigth of the HR rocker shafts question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 09:32:47 PM »
 Hey Richard,

Mine are 1.25 base to centerline and just to be clear I only have that one set of Hiriser BP/TD rocker assemblies to go on.

The 1.50 was the rough measurement you listed for base to centerline of your set on the other forum. If yours are 1.25 then they match my set FWIW.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 09:35:29 PM »
There was a steel plate that went under the stands and that is what the narrow steel upright end stands bolted to. Sounds like you have an incomplete setup.
Contact Ken at Oregon Cams. He will have those parts.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
Hmmm, you have all the pieces in the pictures (which I only looked at now!)
As far as I know he never made a High Riser set since there isn't room under the rockers to run something over the pedestals.

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Height of the HR rocker shafts question
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 10:19:52 PM »
Those look to be modified. The 2 sets I have (both being used right now, so I can't check them) have the end plates being straight up. Yours seem to be modified with one hole slotted, allowing the end plate to be tilted, which would effectively move the shaft back, and a bit lower, which would require the stands to be milled a bit. Not sure why anybody would do that, but being used by a racer, it's anybodies guess as to what they were modified to fit or work with.

Edit: Now I'm not sure. The stands look a bit short to me, and I can't remember 100% if mine were tilted like that or not. The "slot" I mentioned may just be a shadow, I can't see for sure. Either way, like Tom said, Oregon Cams doesn't make a set for a HR because of the reasons he stated. Not enough room between the shaft and plate for the rocker.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:28:48 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 10:28:12 PM »
Changed my prior post when I re-read the FE Forum reply. Seem like 1.25 is the correct measurement. I saw someplace that some of the end stands needed to be cut to clear the HR heads. Could this have been already done or maybe by Oregon Cams??
Doug the end stands are slotted in both bolt holes I'm thinking to allow for adjustment of rocker to valve contact pattern. 
Thanks for the comments  (I'm only asking $125) so no big deal and I'll sit on them for controversy if they don't sell.
More really FE oddball stuff on my shelves to discuss later.
Richard
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:51:02 PM by FERoadster »

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 11:13:03 PM »
Hey Richard,

I'd feel rather confident that one of those interested parties from before would be very happy with these.

My guess looking at this is that the center stands being separate pieces are lowered leaving X amount of clearance for the rocker body and the remainder of the necessary height reduction was taken from the lower support bar.

By design you can only take material off the bottom of most MR style sets being one piece which lowers the end stand to a point where depending on width will contact the upper outermost headbolts/stud-nut. On your set the base to centerline is the same but... that bottom bar section I'll bet sits a touch higher than usual. Combine that with the tilted end supports there and you are solving the clearance issue without a notch to the bottom edge of the end of the shaft support.

For reference here is the notched area on mine but again mine are a one piece MR design which when modified to fit Hiriser lowers the end support the whole distance.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:22:39 PM by HvyFt4spd »

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »
Another question: since the stands are shorter, were the bolts thru the stands also shorter and was the necked down bolt a special part?
I've sold this set and would like to supply the bolts but think he may want studs in his Dove heads

Richard >>> FERoadster

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 05:49:00 PM »
 Yes, stud kit would match the stands or a spacer could be used on top to take up the distance. My setup came with studs and spacers.