Author Topic: Is there a street cruise at the FE Reunion?  (Read 10449 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Is there a street cruise at the FE Reunion?
« on: April 20, 2017, 06:16:49 PM »
Curious if there is going to be, or if there has been in the past, a street cruise for the FE vehicles attending the FE Reunion.  Is there a local cruise hangout, or anything like that?  Trying to decide whether to bring my mufflers and street tires...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: Is there a street cruise at the FE Reunion?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »
Never heard of that, but then I will have to bring mine too. I was going exhaustless.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 08:24:36 PM »
No street cruise, and the only "hangout" I saw was at the motels. Everything is at the dragstrip, and I don't think mufflers are even allowed there 8)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 05:41:33 AM »
The track is way outside town. I am glad your coming Jay. I finally get to meet to meet you. I was considering running open headers not for HP gains but to be able to tell my car is even running in the staging lanes.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 06:39:52 AM »
I was considering running open headers not for HP gains but to be able to tell my car is even running in the staging lanes.

I was thinking about doing the same thing, for the same reason. One of the biggest things that threw me off was wearing a helmet for the first time last year. I couldn't hear anything, at least how I was used to hearing it. It really threw me off.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

hvywrench

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 07:47:50 AM »
There hasn't been anything like that and I've been there every year.
The track is quite a distance from where most of the motels are (Selingsgrove), way out in farm country, and usually the weather is crappy except for being 'decent' on race day.
Haven't heard of any 'hangouts' but I haven't gone looking for one, either.
Bill

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »
And Jay, just an FYI if you weren't aware of it, the track is uphill, including the starting line. The car WILL roll backwards if you don't hold it.

At this point I'm still up in the air about going. The weather forecast isn't looking the greatest, but maybe that will change by then.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 08:20:33 AM »
as of today, forecast is for 80 on Friday & 76 for sat. no chance of rain.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 11:30:34 AM »
Ya, Beaver is just past "the middle of nowhere"  :o.........so no cruising.   You just get off the big road and start heading out into the wilderness and sooner or later you arrive at a little sign that mentions a drag strip.

Though I might remember to give Doug his ride in the Mack this year???  Too bad I don't have a big enough trailer to bring the black car too or we could play the bobsie twins again....

BTW, what are your traveling plans like?  What roads are you taking to get to Beaver.  There are good ones and BAD ones.  I've been on the bad one before and you need to be aware of it.  Don't just follow Google maps.........they don't care if you are in a big truck/trailer.  There are some pretty serious mountains in PA.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:32:50 AM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
If coming from the east and staying at one of the places in Selinsgrove, by far the best route is 80 to 15, then down to Selinsgrove. Just gentle rolling (big) hills and my truck handled it without so much as a grunt, hauling 9000 lbs, and it's just an old farm truck ;D  But it's got a lot more torque than newer trucks.

Hopefully the weather will be as Shady mentioned. And I'll try to get my spot next to you again, Larry, if for no other reason than to get another photo-op with the dumptruck and semi. ;D
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 02:16:05 PM »
I plan to get in Thurs afternoon-ish.  I'll make sure to keep an open spot.  Not sure if we will do the front row this year agin or maybe back a few rows like we did years before.  More directly behind the tower, in the rear row. 

We go 80, to 99(State College) to 322 to 522 to 235.  You DON'T want to come over Bald Eagle Mountain(on 45 and 235).  This way is about 40+ Miles shorter then going out to rt 15.  Only one hill to really deal with coming home just above Milroy on 322.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:23:15 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 04:26:49 PM »
Probably coming in Friday morning.
Staying in Burnham - same place last couple years - easy access to freeway, but a little ways from the track.
Of course every place is a little ways from the track - although there is a complete small town "right there"...

And yes - there are some pretty good hills if you go the wrong way.  The old Excursion was legged out at 4000RPM in second gear and nothing left at 30 mph on one spot.  Courtesy of a relative who works at Ford I will be using something with a bit more oomph to make the tow this time.  I promised to treat it nicely, but how can you tell if a diesel has a rod knock?

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 05:19:45 PM »
When we traveled from your shop Barry to Harrisburg we found
some hills :o. That U-Haul furniture van had to work
with the Model T in the back

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 08:08:44 PM »
Just wondering do you guys leave your cars at the track overnight or take them to the hotels. I am also staying at the Burnham hotel dont know if there is a big parking lot

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 09:16:58 PM »
I dropped trailer and left everything at the track.  It is a very rural, non-urban area and nobody seems to mess with anything.  Couple that with the fact that there are a bunch of FE guys camping out at the track and your car will be safe.