Author Topic: Intake ID post from FE Forum and questions to Jay, intake comparo book  (Read 2414 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
I have some posts on the FE forum here http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1329776606/What+intake+is+this+part+2 of an intake I'm trying to identify. I still have no idea even with all of the thoughts form the FE forum. I thought Jay may have some input due to his experience on the Intake Comparo. The ports are 2-1/8 x 1-3/8 but see nothing matching it in any of my reference material. So I took to Jay's book to "Comparo". I did notice something.

The height of the mounting pad at the front stud of my intake is 5.375 and the rear stud at 5.875 with the front stud from the front being 8.125. Looking at the MR 4V and PI and Sidewinder (these look closest to my intake) Jay's book has the difference stated on all three of these intakes as a 2 height inch difference from front of pad to rear of pad. Does that seem right, a 2 inch rake? Looking at the pictures in the book and using a ruler to formulate a scale I'm not getting a 2 inch difference. If you look at the lower left picture on page 100, reference the top edge at the front and rear of the carb pad. Then look at one on the 3/8 bolt holes. This looks similar in height to the difference in pad height. A 2 inch rake would be huge. Sorry to get side tracked but a few mentioned the intake I have may be a MR 4V so I'm comparing it closely to see if it is similar to the pictures in the book. Regardless of that, mine is a one half inch difference from the front to rear. As I try to identify this are there any more ideas?

Sorry to those who may have read my post on the FE forum.

Thanks,

Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Doug, just to clarify how the measurements in my book work, you have to lay a straightedge across the carb pad and measure where the straightedge crosses the front and rear of the intake.  So, take a yardstick and put it on the carb pad, then take a tape measure and measure straight up from under the front rail of the intake, near the distributor hole.  The distance from the bottom of the front rail to the straightedge is the "front height" shown in the book.  Do the same measurement from the rear rail of the intake, up to the straightedge, and that his the "rear height".

From what I can see from the pictures, your intake is an early 427 medium riser manifold.  I'm pretty sure that the earlier intakes weren't marked with the casting number, so that intake is probably a '64.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Jay,
Thanks for a clear and concise answer.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX