Author Topic: Toploader newb  (Read 2047 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
Toploader newb
« on: January 10, 2020, 05:08:13 PM »
I want to swap out the poor shifting NP435 for a toploader. Which currently has an Advance Adapters overdrive in front which will retained and require the 1-1/16" input shaft.

I'm concerned about shifter location, the overdrive sets everything back about 7.5". Not an issue with the np435 but at looking at most toploaders the shifter is way far back and offset to the left. Any advise for something that would put the shifter as far forward as possible?

This is a down the road project, just planning on what will be needed to start collecting parts. While subject to location and condition what should a person expect to pay for a used unit? Also interested in pro shifting 2-3 3-4

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
Re: Toploader newb
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 05:31:18 PM »
What is the application?  A NP435 is a medium duty truck transmission, and generally is used as such.  I have an Advance Adaptor Overdrive in my '85 F-350 behind the 6.9 IDI as well, but I would never consider shift times as a top priority, shift times being the main advantage of the toploader.  My suggestion would be to replace the NP435 with a Diesel (close ratio) T18 / T19 that will have ratios similar to the top loader and a shifter placement that is the same as the NP435 and be happy.  The Advance Adaptor definitely doesn't help with quick shifts either since you have to wait for the additional shafts in that thing to change speed as well.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:34:18 PM by FrozenMerc »

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 05:55:52 PM »
Like FrozenMerc asked, whats the application? Assuming its a truck, I doubt that you would be happy with the first gear ratio of a Toploader, a close ratio is only 2.32, a wide ratio is a 2.78. Not much to get a heavy truck moving from a dead stop, especially on a hill, towing a trailer, or carrying a load. Toploaders had several different shifter locations, all are on the left side, the furthest foreward shifter location was in early Falcons, Mustangs were at the very back of the tail housing, with Fairlanes positioned in between. I second looking for a BW T19, pretty much a bolt in replacement for a NP 435, plus first gear is syncronized, and have more usable low gear ratios. The gas T19 is 5.02, the Diesel, about 4.0. This compares to a NP435 or T18 , which has a 6.7 or 6.8 low gear. If plans are to tow or carry much, I think a gas T19 would be a great choice . I bought a 460 gas Ford 2WD T19 several years ago to swap into my old 74 F350 car hauler, to replace the NP435, but sold the truck before doing the swap. The T19 looks very close in dimensions to the NP435.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 07:13:05 PM »
And a T19 shifts a lot better than an NP435 too, still kind of clunky because it is a truck tranny but the diesel one has nice ratios.

Now if for some reason you had the NP435 in a Mustang then disregard what I said.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 03:51:36 PM »
I'm curious about all this also.  Especially the part about pro shifting it?  It's easily done, but why?  It will be clunky to drive(depends on your intentions).
Larry

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:04:55 PM »
Truck is a 1950 F-1. hot/rat rod, not much towing or hauling but I do plan on fabbing up a receiver hitch to be able pull something so that does need some consideration. I agree a T18/19 is much smoother and would probably be better all around than the NP435 but it's still a truck trans and would shift as such.

I want to be able to bang gears without missing a shift. A T18 or any other truck trans won't do that to my knowledge. But I'm certainly not against it.  Main thing being when I get after it and I would like to take it to the track I do not want to miss a shift. Nothing is more embarrassing and frustrating. Not being able to push it a little farther or harder because if you do, the chance of missing the shift goes way up.

It might make it tougher to drive on the street but I barely use the clutch as it is anyway rpm match, quick clutch, blip the throttle and go. Drive it like a semi.  Originally mocked up a C6, glad I didn't go that route it would have been a lot easier tho. The overdrive will be retained either way, I like it and makes it fun to drive around. Otherwise I would go to a TKO or similar.

The overdrive will be left alone for the really hard passes. But it can still be shifted fairly hard and quick, made a crossover linkage so the shifter is back and to the right of the trans shifter instead of up by your foot. Mainly did this for foot room but to also reverse the lever so direct is back and OD is forward.

I had been on the hunt for a extra tall shift tower used in F-600s and the like for a shorter throw NP435. Which would probably help but haven't had any luck.

I also figured a toploader would work since people put them in Jeeps and early Broncos and they seem to get along ok.

I'm also aware of a shift tower conversion for the toploader using Jeep parts which would put the shifter pretty much where a NP435 or T19 is. But my then my concern is do they shift the same as all the other shift tower transmissions. Plus those Jeep shifters are hard to find but the conversion looks easy.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 09:39:43 PM »
I may have missed it . but what engine are you planing to run , bench seat or bucket seats ?

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 06:32:03 AM »
Big Blue, I got a David Kee conversion kit to put the top loader in my 56 F100. Two issues. The tower design is like the truck trannys, I have been tinkering with the gates and it does shift better but it still not the same as the Hurst. I can make it run hard and shift fast but its at its full potential. The other issue is the tower was not tall enough, I turned an extenion on my lathe and fixed that problem. All and all I like it, get a lot of questions when someone looks under the hood, but still not a truck tranny.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 11:24:57 AM »
I may have missed it . but what engine are you planing to run , bench seat or bucket seats ?

360 twin turbo. Bench seat out of a small Nissan? pickup. It was free and I couldn't have found a seat to fit any more perfect, needs reupholstered.
 I was looking things over last couple days and there is way more room to move the shifter back than I originally thought. It could come another 10" back from the current one. I would have to rework my OD shifter but that's ok.

Big Blue, I got a David Kee conversion kit to put the top loader in my 56 F100. Two issues. The tower design is like the truck trannys, I have been tinkering with the gates and it does shift better but it still not the same as the Hurst. I can make it run hard and shift fast but its at its full potential. The other issue is the tower was not tall enough, I turned an extenion on my lathe and fixed that problem. All and all I like it, get a lot of questions when someone looks under the hood, but still not a truck tranny.
You just confirmed what I was wondering for those top shift conversions. Thank you for that.  I did some looking and it seems David Kee stopped offering those some time ago.

I just really wish they had a lower 1st gear, that is my only fear.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 01:26:39 PM »
Ford had some top shifted 3 speed overdrives based on the Rug toploader design.  It was also used in Jeeps with a transfer case. 

Here's a couple of links:

https://5speeds.com/toploader.html

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/ford-3-spd-od-toploader-manual-transmissions.9688/page-2