Author Topic: Alternators: one wire or 3G  (Read 2224 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Re: Alternators: one wire or 3G
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2022, 11:36:05 PM »
Rory I was looking and it looked like I would need what KMcCallah was showing with the regulator. I would rather not do that do you have a part number for the proper alternator. I looked up 95 mustang and it looks not right.
Not sure why you would "need" a different voltage regulator than the internal regulator already in the alternator. It is only 3 wires, (4 if you count the 3" long white wire that just loops from the alternator to the regulator. I just bought the correct plug with 3 wires , from NAPA.
I got a 3G alternator for a 95 5.0 Mustang and got a Powermaster adapter harness and it works fine so far. The only thing I didn't care for was there was not enough threads on the shaft to use a lock washer on the pulley so I put some blue locktite on the threads and it should be ok. Also, I can still use the spare one-wire unit I have for my drag-n-drive Mustang as a back up, I just hook up the battery wire and I'm good to go.
 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-131
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 11:48:36 PM by AlanCasida »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2022, 09:40:33 AM »
Rory I was looking and it looked like I would need what KMcCallah was showing with the regulator. I would rather not do that do you have a part number for the proper alternator. I looked up 95 mustang and it looks not right.

No, you don't.  You can scarf either part of the harness out of the donor vehicle or buy the pigtail online.  The red/green "exciter" wire that tell the internal regulator Key On is the same color in the 90's cars.  Yes - Ford used the same color wire for that connection over 30 years.  Yellow is "sense" and on an older car goes to the same post on the solenoid as the main power out.  It's a load sensing input for the regulator.  Then just the big power wire, 8 gauge at least.  On the 93 F-350 I used a 90A breaker in between the alternator and the battery just for extra safety since the truck has big demands from lights, trailer lights, AC, ignition, etc.

On the race car, the main power goes back to the battery in the trunk, the red/green from ignition on, yellow to main battery power connection on the power distribution panel.

Also - most of the 3Gs I've scarfed use a 10mm bolt in the adjuster boss.  I just drill/tap that to 3/8.  Around here, most yards have one or two shipping containers that they pile alternators in.  So you can just sort through the piles pretty easy.  Last one I bought was $45.  And if you care, all the main line auto places will test the unit for free.  Also note these come in "small case" and "large case".  I usually have to put a thin shim on the shaft for a v-belt pully to make it work on a 3G 6 rib style unit.  Alternately, you could mill maybe .050 or so off the face of a 3G around the front bearing boss.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2022, 06:02:14 PM »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2022, 06:11:35 PM »
Ok I get it I had just thought that there was just the bat wire going to the battery. I guess in some cases that is true. But it is nice that I can go to my regular part store or boneyard and get one. While my motor is out I think I’m gonna do this being I have the double fans and electric pump in tank. Would also like to get a high torque starter but that’s another story in itself. I want one that just bolts in and doesn’t have to be adjusted.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2022, 06:44:05 PM »
You can also get new pigtails for the alternator side cheap everywhere in case the picknpull donor has a bad connector/harness:
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Alternator-Harness-Connector-Stator/dp/B08BPJFZD4/ref=sr_1_4?crid=37GGIUPCR6ZXK&keywords=ford+3g+alternator+connector&qid=1654642864&sprefix=ford+3g+alternator+connector%2Caps%2C234&sr=8-4
Those are the same wiring plugs that I bought from my local NAPA store. Makes for a factory looking installation.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2022, 01:41:14 PM »
The Ford 3G is a good unit for sure. My Comet build has a new Powermaster 155amp 1 wire 3G that I expect should work well. It is specifically mentioned for FE swaps in their catalog.

That said, I've used Powermaster 100amp 12si GM one wire alternators for the past 30 or so years on my FE projects without a hitch. They also fit on the stock Ford brackets just fine. I have had Ford guys call me out on the chev charger, but I reply that I have many more Volvo parts on my car than GM.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 01:43:54 PM by Tommy-T »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2022, 10:35:35 AM »
The stockers are pretty robust.  Consider that the small case on my Falcon will see near 15,000 RPM twice every pass.  Haven't been in it in a couple of years,  about time to replace the bearings as a precaution.  I've never yet had a working junkyard 3G fail.  You fish a decent looking on out of the pile and you can be pretty sure it'll work.

I'm not a Powermaster fan.  Owned that, tossed that.  Local guy I get parts from won't touch them.  The "Mitsibushi" single wire clone I got from him that I use on the dragster was $100 cheaper than a PM and has worked just fine.