Author Topic: Sad news - Danny Ongias 1942 - 2022  (Read 865 times)

frnkeore

• View Profile
Sad news - Danny Ongias 1942 - 2022
« on: March 03, 2022, 07:13:22 PM »
This is sad news for both drag racing and Formula/Indy Car racers. Danny was one of Fords all time greats in drag racing!

I was very sadden to hear this today. I knew and raced with Danny for for two years, between '73 and '75. He died Feb 26, in Anaheim Hills, next door to my home town of Orange CA but, he lived in, I believe Long Beach, when he was racing in the '70's.

Danny was a exceptional guy! He was quiet, shy, unassuming and a unbelievably talented driver, in both Funny Car and Formula Cars, as well as anything he could get his hands on, such as the MT, Bonneville Mustangs.

There doesn't seem to be any info on him, in his early days of road racing, when he made his transition from Vel's / PJ,  Top Fuel & Funny Car day's to Formula car racing and I can fill that in.

My first SCCA drivers school, was his second, in Nov '73, at Willow Spring, CA and I got to know and race with him, while he had started to qualifying for his pro F5000 license. I remember the first time I met him, it was at the drivers meeting, before we went out for the first session. My brother was with me and when everyone introduced themselves, my brother and I looked at each other and our jaws dropped. We were drag racers and knew his name well but, had only seen pictures of him in mags.

While he was running Parnelli Jones Funny Car, in '73 (not sure when he quit running PJ's Funny Car), PJ loaned him a F5000, Lola 300 and Carrol Smith (of Shelby fame), to wrench it for him. He was a stand out, right from the start! There were some very good F5000 cars in Cal Club, in those days and if the competition was fairly equal, he always had the ability to make the pass before the end, even with the pro drivers. The pro F5000 drivers, used the Cal Club races as practice, between pro races.

After his first year (it took almost 2 years to get the pro license), a local, SoCal car owner Ed Obrien let him run his car (Lola 300) for, maybe 2 or so, races and then he met Ted Fields (Interscope). Ted bought two cars (330 Lola's) for Danny and himself, Ted was not cut out for it but, Danny, of course shined and became a huge star in F5000 and Indy Car. He also ran some F1 races and sports cars.

RIP, my friend, you will always be remembered
Frank

Tommy-T

• View Profile
Re: Sad news - Danny Ongias 1942 - 2022
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 08:44:16 PM »
Danny "on the gas" was by a wide margin my favorite Ford racer.

In 1969, NHRA recognized Funny Car as a professional class. That year the cammer powered, Ongias driven, blue Mickey Thompson Mach I funny car amassed a 42-2 win-loss record. The 2 losses were from when the 427 SOHC engine blocks relented to nitromethane fuel abuse.

Whenever the blue car was in town my dad would load up the family wagon with me, my brother, my Uncle Leon, and of course, himself. We saw the Mickey Thompson Mustang run at Irwindale, Lions, and Orange County. There were lots of funny car racers in SoCal at that time, and racers came from all over the country to match race the MachI.

That Ongias driven car made me want to have a Ford hot rod more than any other influence.

Godspeed Danny O

On Edit: He also dated, and nearly married, Linda Vaughn :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 08:46:35 PM by Tommy-T »

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 09:04:30 PM »
Dad would take me to the Indy car races at Ontario ,after the race we would head to the garages. We aways headed for Danny’s garage where he would offer my dad a beer,by name! I had no idea how they knew each other but they carried on like long lost friends . I never asked my dad how he knew him before he had a stroke. Wish I had.
It feels like I lost a friend.
Lance H

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 11:21:12 PM »
Indeed, that is sad news.

Here's Danny On-The-Gas with the famed blue Mustang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-1WKYLh5rY

See his ride at the start of the vid and near the end.
Bob Maag

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 06:03:17 AM »
I remember when Danny first drove at Indy. Seemed as though he was mashing the pedal through the floor in the corners. At the time it was amazing. And of course his blue car exploits.
I did not know him but by far my favorite.
RIP driver.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 06:05:01 AM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 08:53:19 AM »
Great story Tommy! like the Linda V. part also! I bet he could tell some great stories!

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 02:02:49 PM »
Bummer that I never got to meet him. I'd seen him at Bakersfield and he was busy, "maybe next time" didn't work out so well. It seems like he only started attending reunions and the like in the past few years. Sure would have been cool to have him and Pat Foster telling stories together.