Author Topic: 69 Fairlane R code cam, clutch and carb return springs  (Read 2071 times)

40ford

• View Profile
69 Fairlane R code cam, clutch and carb return springs
« on: June 07, 2018, 12:06:17 PM »
Hi fellows, I'm Tony and new to this forum, My stuff: 39 ford w/427 MR(not running),40 ford w/merc f h, 69 R code fairlane formal roof drag pack

I need to take out the engine,sitting dormant since 1980(long story). I have a c8xc cam and was thinking of changing out the cj cam. Question would it be worthwhile, the car will only be a cruiser, very seldom track. Would it have any effect on the power brakes.

Also, would anyone have diagram or pictures for the correct location and hook up points for the carb linkage return spring and the clutch linkage return springs.

Thanks, Tony

gt350hr

• View Profile
Re: 69 Fairlane R code cam, clutch and carb return springs
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »
  Tony ,
      No problem with power brakes and the C8AX-C cam . It is the next step up from the stock CJ cam. It  IS a worthwhile change.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:12:21 PM »
The -C camshaft in my Shelby left me with no power brakes after one quick stop.  If you don't get stopped with the first pump, the next one will be rock hard and not fun.  Just my experience.  The brakes actually worked better with the AA camshaft and adjustable rocker arms, solids.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 01:23:08 AM »
We ran the "C" cam in our 64 Galaxie, never had an issue with power brakes.
Maybe the boosters are stronger in the big Galaxie.
Also have run the "AA" aka COmp 270S cam, again no problem with power brakes.
I have run the 8v "K" cam 245-245-114, the power brakes ARE iffy in that one. You have power brakes for either 1 stop or 0 stops. Just depends.

As far as 'worth it', that depends too. Muscle Parts back from 1969 says it will add about 15hp vs your CJ cam. But it will lose some low end below 2500 or so.
If your gear is 3.50 or taller the CJ cam is as good or better. BUT since you said drag pack if you have either the 3.91 or 4.11 I'd go with it.

The "C" grind was standard in the 429CJ of 70-71 which usually came with 3.50 gears so that is a guideline too, although they advanced the cam for the 429CJ.
You could do the same to get a little more low end.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 08:29:28 AM »
I run a Comp 282S in my 64 Galaxie no problem
with Powerbrakes. Boost for plenty of repeated stops
But i have a Volvo 740 dual diaphragm Booster
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:57:34 AM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »
Various pics of carb linkage. One or two should be for your R ride.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1969+ford+fairlane,+carb+linkage&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS768US768&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUo9-issTbAhXHhVQKHZsGBTsQ_AUICygC&biw=1270&bih=638

Hi fellows, I'm Tony and new to this forum, My stuff: 39 ford w/427 MR(not running),40 ford w/merc f h, 69 R code fairlane formal roof drag pack

I need to take out the engine,sitting dormant since 1980(long story). I have a c8xc cam and was thinking of changing out the cj cam. Question would it be worthwhile, the car will only be a cruiser, very seldom track. Would it have any effect on the power brakes.

Also, would anyone have diagram or pictures for the correct location and hook up points for the carb linkage return spring and the clutch linkage return springs.

Thanks, Tony
Bob Maag

40ford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 09:33:30 AM »
Thank you for the replies.

The car is factory with 4:30 locker rear.

Bought the car from my cousin, he bought it new, once he learned to feather the throttle off the line, the chevys and mopars would cry