Author Topic: Planes at the RAF Museum in London  (Read 10352 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Planes at the RAF Museum in London
« on: February 11, 2012, 02:14:38 PM »
I have just returned from a 12 day business trip to Europe, spending time in Switzerland, Germany,  and the UK.  Last Saturday I was in London, and took the underground to visit one of my all time favorite air museums, the RAF Museum at Hendon.  Thought you guys might enjoy some pics.

Here's the view from outside the museum.  Looks like I'm in the right place:

The museum has four big halls filled with planes.  Pictures from the first hall are shown below.  I like the Messerschmidt 262, the Sopwith Camel diving from the ceiling, and also the F-35 joint strike fighter; I didn't realize that any of these planes were in museums yet:

The photo below is the remains of a British bomber (a Halifax I think) that was pulled from a Norwegian Fjord.  This particular plane participated in the raid and sinking of the German battleship Tirpitz, which threatened the northern convoy route from the UK to Russia.

I don't know why, but I love the big, ugly four engined bombers from World War II.  My uncle flew in a B-24, so that must be part of the reason.  The B-24, Lancaster, and B-17 shown in the next photos are in the museum's second hall.  Standing next to these planes is just an awesome experience.

Looking over the wing of the B-17 you can see a British Vulcan bomber.  It is the biggest delta wing plane I've ever seen.  The air duct shown in the second photo is about three feet by ten feet:

The next museum hall features a lot of fighters.  I thought that seeing the American planes like the P-40 and the P-47 in UK markings was interesting and unusual.  A lot of British pilots flew the American planes in WWII.

In addition to aircraft, the museum features lots of period correct displays.  I'm sorry, but this one just cracks me up!  Marlboro, Camel, Lucky Strike, and...

The last hall is dedicated to the Battle of Britain, and features the planes that were used in this battle.  I have never seen some of these planes in any other museum, such as the night fighter equipped Messerschmidt 110 and Junkers Ju-88.

Also shown in this Hall is a British flying boat called a Sunderland.  This is a huge aircraft with a reputation for being very difficult for enemy fighters to bring down.  In the foreground of the first photo, at upper right, is a V-1 buzz bomb.  The second photo shows a V-2 missile.

If you ever get to London and want to see a good aircraft museum, I would highly recommend this one.  It is a ten minute walk from the nearest underground station, admission is FREE, and the planes are just spectacular.  Hope you guys enjoyed the photos!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Planes at the RAF Museum in London
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »
Wow, nice pics! When we went to London in the summer of 2001 I had hoped to visit the RAF Museum but we ran out of time and it was quite few klicks from our mid-town hotel. Did visit the in-town Imperial War Museum and it was great, especially with two WWII 15" naval battleship guns flanking the outdoors entrance walkway! Sorry I missed the RAF planes as they seem to have quite a few rare ones indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_War_Museum

For those who are USA bound the USAF museum at Wright Patterson AFB in Ohio has 300+ airplanes of all kinds from all eras on display both inside and outside. It's a must see!

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:02:16 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:48:06 PM »
I've never been to Wright Patterson, but I understand its the best air museum in the US.  It's on my bucket list.  I need to see the XB-70 Valkyrie in a bad way...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Here is one of my favorite Spitfire videos
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 04:24:57 PM »
Great planes and a great period song, sung by Vera Lynn.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUx3MU9iM6c

Kerry j

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 07:04:29 PM »
Wow! Great pictures Jay, I would love to go there one day; my Uncle flew in a B-17 and he was pretty tight lipped about it, we did find out that during his time in the B-17 every crew member but him was killed at least once. He said he always thought he would die in it and was really surprised that he lived through it.

My favs have to be the Mustang and Mosquito, with the P-47 "jug" right behind them.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 07:32:23 PM »
My Dad was a mechanic on Mosquito's during the war.
He passed in 1969.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 05:24:50 PM »
Jay if you do get to Wright Patterson look at the X planes. My wifes grandfather was working at Bell Areo Space during the development of those planes. He kept silent about them except to say that he had helped in there development.  If you notice they are all hanging except for the X15. We were told there are some secrets in the hanging aircraft that won`t be declasified for several more yrs.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 05:59:35 PM »
I've spent a few days visiting Hendon on my lay over trips to London, definitely a favourite place of mine. Also worthwhile visiting is the Science museum in London. It's free entry and the top floor has huge aviation section. And if you are willing to travel an hour north, a visit to RAF Duxford is definitely worth the effort.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:02:33 PM »
+1 on seeing the XB-70 before I go.  What an astonishing machine for its time!  The X-15 is also high on my list.

- Bill
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 09:20:30 AM »
It's an immense plane, so big that it's almost impossible to get a pic of it except in sections. Here's a roll-out shot and check out the size of the XB-70 by the folks next to it:

http://www.aircraftcompare.com/aircraft_images/2413.jpg
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 09:28:21 AM »
That plane is so, so cool...
Jay Brown

Joe-jdc

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 11:18:35 PM »
Wright Patterson AFB was the alternate base for a hurricane evacuation from Tyndall AFB back in 1968, and I had to go there as a crew chief on our F-101s.  I saw the XB-70 when it was still flyable, with fuel, hydraulic fluids dripping in many places.  It is awesome, and a great example of what was futuristic thinking from the era.  The XB-70, B-1, SR-71, F-15, and F-22 are planes I could watch fly around all day long, and not get tired of just looking at their powerful images.  Having crewed F-100s, F101s, F-4s, and F-15s, and worked at depot on B-52s, I am a diehard flightline mechanic.  There is no greater feeling of service and job satisfaction than to be on a flightline and have dozens of engines running their preflight checks prior to launch for the battle.  Joe-JDC.

Randy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »
Jay that is awesome I envy you got to go look at these planes I have always been interested in the WWII planes my Dad was a radio operator in the B-17 then was moved to a B-29 later, love them old War Birds.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »
When i worked as a mecanic
for the Swedish airforce late 70s
early 80s
some hikers found a bomber
high up in the moutains
I think it was a Handley page.
That got damaged while bombing
Tirpitz and crashed in Sweden
It was stored in our hangar before
it was shiped back to England
wounder what happend to that?

Some of the crew survived and some
was still in the plane when they found it

a couple of other bombers crashed not
so far away from where i live
after bombing Tirpitz one is still were it
crashed im going upp there this summer
to have a look

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 04:31:13 PM »
The one still there is a Lancaster
"Easy Elsie" you can google it
lot of pictures

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it