Author Topic: Manifold PCV Do's and Don'ts or Don't do?  (Read 2838 times)

Thumperbird

• View Profile
Manifold PCV Do's and Don'ts or Don't do?
« on: December 13, 2021, 10:39:40 AM »
Hello, have always fought some oil in the pcv/carb on my stroker, had to remove the baffle in the fabricated valve cover due to rocker clearance issues.
Was wondering about using the oval shaped plate access at the back of the Edelbrock 2x4 performer manifold, pro's and cons of this idea, do's and don'ts?
Seems easy enough to pop a whole in the plate and run a pcv straight up into back carb., would I need to baffle the plate on the back side? 
Not sure how much oil is flying around the rear of the galley?

Thanks.   

Dumpling

• View Profile
Re: Manifold PCV Do's and Don'ts or Don't do?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 10:46:05 AM »
I believe that there was provision for a wire wad baffle under the plate when doing what you are proposing.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 10:53:03 AM »
There's a tremendous amount of oil in the lifter valley flying around and on some blocks, there are some big holes in the back where you can actually look down and see the crank counterweight.  Lots of oil flying through the air.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 12:17:15 PM »
I'd be sourcing a different set of covers or possibly cover spacers to get the baffle back on the PCV outlet.  Or plumbing in an air/oil separator. 

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 02:12:20 PM »
I built this setup for my Mustang.  PCV line from valve cover valve goes into the 2 stage separator tank which has a drain tap at bottom. Then the intake vac. flow travels from tank into a clear type fuel filter to catch anything that comes thru and also a good visual aid as to how it is working. I get about a teaspoon or so of oil after a month or so of cruising use when I drain the tank.
I mounted the PCV valve at front of valve cover.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 08:14:29 AM »
That is a good idea.
i have a new oil seperator for my 63 but never thought about running a filter in the line.
Greg

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 09:22:03 AM »
Thanks all, was hoping this would be a quick fix, not that the proposed ideas are too big of a deal.
No clearance for taller covers on drivers side, will look at separation methods, was thinking a pcv up an inch or two off of the back flange would by me some distance from the oil and if large enough diameter reduce air velocity so the oil stays low, maybe add some mesh, so might try and fabricate a little tube extension so to speak with mesh and pcv on top.

Thanks again.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 12:07:34 PM »
I've added some SS mesh under the interior baffle with good results. Trade name is Chore Boy, a stainless steel scrubby, available at grocery stores . If you don't have a sheet metal baffle inside the cover (I stuck my mesh between the top side of the baffle and the inside of the cover) maybe you can stuff some of it into your extension.
Bob Maag

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 12:43:57 PM »
No lifter galley baffle on your combo?, (assuming roller lifters).
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 05:11:06 PM »
I have an issue as well with my 67 Shelby with the PCV pulling oil into the intake. I packed stainless pot scrubber material from Brillo on top of the baffle in the valve cover. It made a huge difference.

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 07:05:55 AM »
Correct, no lifter galley baffle due to rollers and no valve cover baffle due to clearance issues inside and out, some space to play at the back of the intake though as carbs are elevated a bit.
So yeah, hoping a decent diameter chamber filled with something will do the trick, figure bigger diameter should mean less velocity coming in before it gets to pcv therefore pulling less oil for a couple of reasons. 

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 08:36:13 AM »
Options available.
Not sure which basket type is better, the mostly closed bucket or the more open mesh holder.

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 08:44:05 AM »
Might try reducing flow through the PCV valve...either with an adjustable PCV valve (expensive) or insert a smaller diameter hose inside the PCV hose. 

Oil turns into a misty fog over the rocker arms (and I'm guessing it will over the lifter galley) around 2500 rpms.  It floats around and right past baffles. 

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 05:09:15 PM »
I can't use many of the options available because if having to keep the car stock in appearance. The reduction from the 1/2 hose internally is likely a great idea too.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2021, 05:56:38 AM »
I ran a pvc in the rear on my Manifold i made a mistake and did not install the basket I used 2.6 quarts of my 8 quart sump in less then 100miles no damage done and i had my roller lifters oiling restricted and push rod oiling only rocker oiling was blocked off at the block due to TD race rocker mounting plate blocking the std oil feed hole at the head that should tell you there is huge amount of oil that finds its way to the top of the valley. I removed mine and blocked it off i don't run a pvc now my valve covers have breathers in each one + the oil fill tube. Zero problems now car is running great first oil change was last week oil filter looks good and clean apart from the normal fresh engine ware. I would avoid using the rear of the manifold and less you run a vent tube and the basket is 100% required.