Author Topic: Need to quiet down our 484 FE...  (Read 2920 times)

Jb427

• View Profile
Re: Need to quiet down our 484 FE...
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 08:36:22 PM »
I run FPA headers x-pipe with flowmaster not sure what flowmasters they are it is not quiet but it dose not make your head ring sounds louder in the shed idling 800rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNs5J-tukZk

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 07:08:09 AM »
I think I discovered part of the issue with sound.  Two primaries have a leak where they enter the slip-fit collector on the driver's side.  There is a burn pattern where exhaust gasses have jetted out and fire forward (hence the noise).  But, it's very well hidden.  This also explains why I smell like I've been riding a motorcycle after taking this thing for a quick drive up the road and back.

Short of trying to expand the primary pipes and making it a nightmare to remove and re-install, what can be done about sealing up those gaps?  Are there donut gaskets that can be used?  I have read that any paste-type sealant will eventually blow out. 

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2024, 12:55:54 PM »
If you know someone that has a TIG welder and they have a good understanding of what you need done, that might be an option.  Probably the most amount of work but it would definitely be a permanent solution.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2024, 04:36:14 PM »
Do you have the headers coated with anything? All the sets of REF's that I have done have been Jet-Hot coated. The coating leaves a bit of white residue inside the pipes and makes them fit very tight. When I did mock-up I could slide that collector on, after coating I had to use a rubber mallet to get the collector on.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2024, 06:38:58 AM »
Do you have the headers coated with anything? All the sets of REF's that I have done have been Jet-Hot coated. The coating leaves a bit of white residue inside the pipes and makes them fit very tight. When I did mock-up I could slide that collector on, after coating I had to use a rubber mallet to get the collector on.

I had mine Jet-Hot coated in 2020.  The collector pipes were very difficult to install but apparently there's just enough of a gap to jet exhaust gasses and sound.  It's a little embarrassing that I've been chasing a header leak like this for 2 years, but in my defense it doesn't sound like a typical leak.  I really thought it was just the way the headers were until I saw the tiny 0.5" scorch marks firing forwards on two primaries.  It's so minor overall that I'd guess most people would just run it and not care (especially at the track, which this is not a track car), but I need this car to be quiet and fume-free.  I took it for a 10 mile drive over the weekend and I reeked of exhaust when I got home.

I unfortunately can't weld the primaries to the collector because it would be impossible to remove the headers without destroying them and there's no way to get a torch in to weld the center areas.  Getting those REF headers installed was a puzzle I don't ever want to mess with again.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2024, 07:39:31 AM »
I think what Urgefor means is you could tig a bead of weld around inside the collector or outside of the primary tubes so you get a tighter fit once the collector is fitted up tight.

If it is that bad that you smell like exhaust after driving your car sounds like the leak is pretty bad and it is getting inside the car. I would find out how those fumes are getting inside the car first that should not be happening could be firewall floor or trunk and i would think trunk or the rear of the car some place.

you could start the car on a car hoist and see if you can spot other leaks.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2024, 07:50:39 AM »
I think what Urgefor means is you could tig a bead of weld around inside the collector or outside of the primary tubes so you get a tighter fit once the collector is fitted up tight.

If it is that bad that you smell like exhaust after driving your car sounds like the leak is pretty bad and it is getting inside the car. I would find out how those fumes are getting inside the car first that should not be happening could be firewall floor or trunk and i would think trunk or the rear of the car some place.

you could start the car on a car hoist and see if you can spot other leaks.

I'll put it on the lift next weekend and inspect all along both collectors.  I have the firewall plugged up pretty well but I'll check for any areas I might have missed.  The floor is sealed.

Regarding welding, that does make sense and I hadn't considered that approach- basically weld a tight bead around the inside and grind it to fit, just adding a few thou when done.  I can try that, might be really tough because it's over-locating everything and was a nightmare to install as-is.   

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2024, 08:03:04 AM »
Welding would be a good fix but to really do it properly you should remove it you could get it fitting up nice and tight then we all know that is a huge pain and most cars to remove any fe exhaust headers.

You could try aluminium tape as well could be hard to make that work at the collector but there is Aluminium tape you can buy for small slip joint leaks could be a cheap thing to try fist see if that stops the fumes.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2024, 08:15:58 AM »
Welding would be a good fix but to really do it properly you should remove it you could get it fitting up nice and tight then we all know that is a huge pain and most cars to remove any fe exhaust headers.

You could try aluminium tape as well could be hard to make that work at the collector but there is Aluminium tape you can buy for small slip joint leaks could be a cheap thing to try fist see if that stops the fumes.

I can try that.  I have shim stock down to 0.002" too.  I read that some people have success with ultracopper permatex but others say it blows out.  Given how small of a gap this must be, I might give that a try too.  No clue how hard it'll be to remove the collectors someday though.  I might have to make a jig with a draw bar. 

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2024, 12:28:56 PM »
You may be able to fit a small band clamp on the joints, the can be effective.

Also, ceramic coating can change the sound, and in theory build a little on the pipe, also not sure I'd call it a leak fix

Finally, the most quiet performance mufflers I have found are Jones Full Boar.  I run them on my 461 F100, they bark at full throttle but very quiet when driving easy, even with a full 3 inch exhaust
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2024, 01:14:35 PM »
None of this makes sense to me. I've had slip joint headers that showed the black marks from exhaust exiting between the joints....never smelled anything, or heard leaks. IF there was anything to hear, it was only at full throttle, where I couldn't hear it anyway over the carb and/or exhaust note. I most definitely never smelled like exhaust from driving, or smelled it at all for that matter.

Not counting a really REALLY bad leak at the head or collector, the only way I've smelled exhaust in the car (also a Mach 1), was when my exhaust terminated at the rear axle, OR when the exhaust didn't protrude past the rear valance, where it gets trapped under the car and makes its way back into the trunk, or back to the side windows. That is definitely an issue. I just don't believe a small joint leak could produce enough fumes to smell inside, let alone cover the driver. Almost 40 years of driving my Mach, with different engines, different headers, different mufflers...or no exhaust at all, that is my experience.

Sound can be a funny thing. Certain frequencies can trigger really annoying reactions, especially as a person ages and their hearing changes. It may be the case here, where a certain frequency from those particular thin wall headers is just not playing well with your hearing. But in fairness, I've never ran REF headers, so can't say whether or not they are worse, or just different, than others.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 01:19:01 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2024, 04:41:05 PM »
Can you post some photo's of your exhaust system CV355?

I agree with CJ I think something else is going on as far as the fumes go.

As for the sound that tricky to say how to make it better.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2024, 06:57:43 PM »
Smelly eh.
It has to be in good tune and the headers flanges at the heads have to be leak free.
No leaking oil on to the headers.
If you have an open scoop or a big hole in the hood that will let the smell out.
The back of the hood must seal to the gasket.
I have a Youtube video of Bucky burning one. ::)
It does nothing though if you have an open hood.
What type of PCV system are you using? That is the smell extractor.
I have two big holes in my hood so the smell leaves the engine bay and goes to the cowl.
But, I have the cowl blocked so it can't get in. ;D

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2024, 07:36:27 PM »
I can get my headers in and out of the car bolted to the engine.
I just took the 482 out with the headers bolted up. All 32 bolts and no leaks
after years and years of service.
That's why I love those old Hookers.
They are just so easy to get into and out of.
Love Hookers.

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2024, 01:27:46 AM »
That's why I love those old Hookers.
They are just so easy to get into and out of.
Love Hookers.

Too much information!!!   :o

I can't lie though.  I have a couple old Hookers in my car as well.  8)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 01:39:39 AM by Urgefor »