Author Topic: Another NHRA tech question...bale style fuel cell cap  (Read 1247 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Another NHRA tech question...bale style fuel cell cap
« on: July 10, 2019, 09:32:12 PM »
Are the "Bale" style fuel cell caps legal? The flush mount caps are such a pain I swapped mine for the bale style. However, I am not sure they are legal. I have a NHRA tech manual coming but I am going to try and go to the track Friday evening and I am not sure if I'll get manual and be able to decipher it in time. Here is what I have.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Another NHRA tech question...bale style fuel cell cap
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 10:01:37 PM »
I’ve never asked tech this question, so take this for what it’s worth, but since no one has chimed in...

The 2019 NHRA rule book under General Regulations 1:5 fuel systems, under “tanks”, says “...A positive-locking screw on fuel tank cap is mandatory on all open-bodied cars”...

No other mention really about caps, just the rest of the stuff you already know - pressure cap, vented outside of body, firewall to drivers compartment, etc. So I think you’re ok since you don’t have an open bodied vehicle. Let us know what you find out.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 08:51:35 AM »
Thanks Kevin. I decided to play it safe and put the flush mount cap back in and I'll ask the tech guy about it when I am there. I'd rather do this than have to scramble around swapping caps at the track.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 09:25:36 AM »
Should not make any difference.  I see screw on/bail type caps on dragster fuel cells and such.